Paint dimples...Please help!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm getting paint dimples that I can't stop from forming when using can spray paint. I first sanded then primered this piece of metal. When I sprayed the paint and a little with the primer, it made these dimples I couldn't stop. Any ideas on why this is happening?

Caleb
IMG_0421.JPG

That can happen when the part being painted isn't cleaned properly, or when humidity is to high or with spray paint that's been sitting around to long.

I'm sure there are other reasons and you'll probably get other responses, those are just the things I can think of.

Research paint fisheye. As Falstaff said, probably caused by a contaminant on your metal. I have had that problem when I cleaned a panel with brake kleen before. I would test compatibility of the primer and paint on some scrap metal, If they are o.k. then take the part to bare metal and start over.

I had a die cast piece one time that no matter what i tried, it fisheyed every time I tried to paint it.

I had that happen when I painted a frame on the clothesline outside. I brought the can of paint from inside the house where it was 70f. Outside was 85f. Now I have the steel and paint at the same outside temperature and it's good.

Fisheyes from oil or silicone contamination, wash part well with soap and water, wipe with any of the following solvents - acetone, lacquer thinner, rubbing alcohol.

Test a small spot first, the more aggrestive solvents may eat your primer.

Back