Parts not compatable..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, just some convo. This is bike talk! I am sure once you have tons of parts built up, this wouldn't be an issue...
I measured first, and looked like a tire was gonna fit, but it didn't. I got a 26"x2.125 tire, went to put it in my rollfast forks, nope. Even without fender. So, ok, I have another old Schwinn frame and forks,on another project, I'll just use those. The steer tube is a little longer, but would work. But then the bearings cups, and threads are different! So then, I'll just take the headset from the Schwinn. But no, that is loose in the RF head, and of course the RF is too big for the schwinn.. So I finally took an old 26" mountain bike I had and got the forks off that, which had the right size bearings and such, and the right threads. Even then, the steer tube is like a 1/4" taller than the top spacer and nut would fit. So I took the top race off the mountain bike, used it upside down as a (thread on) washer, added top nut, and done. I didn't want tube style forks, the original RF were fine, or the flatbar Schwinn, but it doesn't look bad, almost like I meant to do it! I guess that is kind of the rat rod way, make it work! that's all I got..

I'm having the same issues with my nephews AMC GTO but it's with the crank and BB . It's a odd size and I can't find anything I have to work with it . :x

This time last year I was having the same issues and ended up at the mercy of a couple local bike shops (one with good help but no inventory 3 minutes away, one with good inventory, but kinda rude help 50 minutes away). Now this morning, after scrounging around for free bikes for a year, I threw away 6 bicycles because I have so many parts.

Hey Rotton! Some of the problems you are having with bearings and such brings to mind one of my pet peeves. For some reason a lot of sellers think it's better to leave the cups on the frame than remove them to store with the original bearings, etc. Anyone that has swapped parts around like you have knows that all cups and bearings are not created equal. Forgetting the fact that Schwinn is unlike anyone else, most every other crankset has the same threading but bearings are matched to cups and do vary in size. OK, so different manufacturers used different bearing/cup sets - no problem with that. But I feel we should start thinking of the cups as part of the crank/head set, not part of the frame. Some people already feel that way, but most of the frames I have purchased from RRB & ebay came with the cups whether I had any bearings to fit them or not. So Rotton I suggest when you move bearings from one frame to another keep all of the bearing parts with them. And if you only use Schwinn sets on Schwinn frames it will help from getting parts mixed up.

Back