Pedal Problem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the perfect pedals for the rusto hawthorne but they are 9/16".I've been running around all day trying to come up with a way to make them work.
Has anybody dealt with this.So far I've thought of re dieing the pedals but have to order reverse thread die.Everything I found on line says the crank won't handle being re tapped.I thought of rebuilding the pedals with the innards of some old pedals but don't know if it is possible.Maybe fab up some sort of adapter?I don't want to ruin anything so much that I can't use it.Three piece crank isn't going to look right.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks guys.

im guessing that since theyre 9/16"(new style that dont unbolt) you cant swap the shaft?
have you got a picture of them(or the adapters also) by any chance?might be able to think of something if could see what you have/need...

I just tried taking pics but the light in my place is crap.I can get better ones tomorrow.
068.jpg

069.jpg

The plate on the side that screws in has a small tab peened over on each side.The threads on the pedal are 9/16.The crank is 1/2.The adapters I found online have a 9/16 female on one end and a 1/2 male on the other but are $45.
http://www.bikemania.biz/PEDAL_ADAPTERS ... apters.htm
I also found a one piece crank that would fix the prob but is brand new and black.But it is only $15.
I would much rather spend the money on tools to make it work that I could use again than a fix that isn't the look I want.Know what I mean.
Thanks for caring,you guys rule. :mrgreen:

All sounds good.I might try taking the pedal apart.I think I can do it without screwing it up but I didn't know if other pedal guts could be swapped in.Think I am going to try to make adapters regardless of what goes down.I found dies left and right for cheap money.Thanks for the the tips Sensor and keeping an eye on the post.Much appreciated. :mrgreen:

edit: I R READ GUD

ExtraBlaze said:
So far I've thought of re dieing the pedals but have to order reverse thread die.Everything I found on line says the crank won't handle being re tapped.

The problem you'd have tapping new threads is that you'd have to clear the old threads first. It would take a reamer ~1/16" larger than the 1/2" hole to clear the old threads. To tap new 9/16" threads, you'd first drill a hole 33/64", or just 1/64" more than the original 1/2" hole before you cleared them. You wouldn't have enough material in the crank to cut 9/16" threads at 75% after you cleared the 1/2" threads. B607

Back