Phantom of the OCC - now the Schwinn Black Phantasm

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Phantom of the OCC

Still haven't got the frame welded up yet (still cleaning up a few spots), but I decided to start working on fork length. I wish I would have taken more pics/measurements while I still had the 'stock' OCC together. Fortunately, forum member 'Charles' was nice enough to measure some stock forks for me. That length (~20" from the bottom of the lower triple tree to the axle) was my reference and where the inspiration of my 'underbite' springer came from.
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47967&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=underbite

When I put it together with the forks at that length, I didn't like that the long bottom tube didn't sit level (I mocked it with a 24x3 Fatti-O up front and the stock rear tire).

Here's the only pic I have of the stock frame running this combo, it looks like, with the kickstand up it would have sat fairly level.

DSCF2913.jpg

So I dropped the fork down until it looked like this.

DSCF3275.jpg

DSCF3273.jpg

The stock fork gave the front end more rake and pushed the front tire forward. I know the BB is close to the front tire, but I can gain a little room by designing some extended rockers. Since, I plan on a 3 speed rear, I can also run a slightly shorter crank too. Overall, I like the look of it so far. For reference, it's currently ~ 6 feet long with the seat at 24" from the ground. looks like this is becoming a bit of a 'burrito chopper' :mrgreen:

Well that's about it for now, gotta go take down my 'Griswold' Christmas decorations... :roll:

Cheers,
Dr. T

Looking good Tank! Those shortend forks are giving it a squatter profile.
I look forward to seeing what you plan for the springer fork.
Is that the tire combo you plan to use? I think they work well together.
Have you considered a Harley tire? ;-)
Are you going with a pan seat or a banana and sissy bar?
What bars are you thinking about?
What type of shifter and where?
The suspense is killing me.
I look forward to seeing your mock ups and seeing your vision come to life.
This is going to be a VERY cool build!!!!!

Lookin' good Doc! 8) The shorter forks really give it that "mean" look :mrgreen: I'd also like to know what your tire combo is :D If you don't use the Fatti-o, a 26" wheel and tire would look cool 8) Keep us updated! :D

Arrrgghh!! Lol nice job Doc. I see ya up to old tricks. Now get ta buildin'!! Happy holidays. Peace

kingfish254,
The Harley tire is out, because I've got plans for the rear fender/light combo. :wink:
For seating, I'm leaning toward the 'Phantom' side and thinking saddle. But, you may see a sissy bar used too.
For bars, I'm leaning toward the 'Sting-Ray' side and thinking apehangers (kinda) pics later. But, I'm open, depends on riding position, etc...
Shifter......hmmmmm....we'll see on that :roll:

Jake!
Good to hear from you man! On the first page, I warned you to look away! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

May be heading to 'da shop' tonight to check out Double Nickle's freshly painted/chromed Sting-Ray, you never know what happen there...... :roll: :roll:

Cheers for now,
Dr. T

I keep on forgetting that you are going to pay some homage to the Phantom (which I assume means cool fender headlight).
Looking at you latest mockup, I got to thinking, what if you left the excess fork tubes extending above the headset? You could mount some drop bars high then. Just a thought, and it may look like crap, but throwing it out there. If the tubes where longer you could even bend them so that they became the handlebars.

Don't listen my my ramblings though. Have fun with Double Nickel.

I thought you'd be stretching this bike? Are you still able to use the piece I sent you, or was that idea replaced? Won't hurt my feelings any.

Well, I'm glad that you're feelings won't be hurt.... :mrgreen: It looks like I'll be gaining my 'stretch' by lengthening the seat tube and using a laid back seat post. Sorry about that...... :oops:

The part isn't going to waste though, I'm grafting part of it to fill this part of the frame and 'maybe' touch up the BB tube (don't ask :roll: ):
OCCseatpostarea.jpg

Thanks again for your contribution.

Cheers,
Dr. T

What do you think is the biggest dia wheel, with maybe typical red bricks, that would fit into one of those OCC frames. Youve kinda got me going on ideas for the one my Grandson offered up. I know it goes against the grain in that wide a frame to use a narrower tire, but , I do that a lot..........

Thanks Clancy, there's more planned. mixing old and new is going to be a recurring theme on this one.

gcrank1,
I just some 'quick' measurements. If you cut off the fender mount, you've got ~14 inches
to work with. For reference, I measured the 24 x 3 Fatti-O and it's ~13 inches from the axle to the top of the fully inflated tire. Another bike of mine is running 26 x 2.35 Schwalbe Fat Frank's, they measure ~13.75 axle to edge. Looks like they'd work, so would Felt Quick Bricks (26 x 2.125) or thick Bricks (24 x 3). The biggest issue would be the width of frame. Funny, frames are usually too narrow around here :lol: :lol:
You could use the hub that comes on the OCC, or cut and narrow the rear.

FunkyStickman built up an OCC with a 24 x 3 and a SA rear hub, I think he narrowed his rear triangle though. His bike is awesome and a HUGE influence on my build.
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16916&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=suey

Good luck dude!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Back