Pontiac...so sad.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't news...that GM is dropping Pontiac. But I am currently looking to buy a brand new car...and have come to the conclusion that Pontiac build the best looking GM models!!!

G6 in coupe or convertible is HOT!

jf_07g6_profiletopup.jpg

G8...is euro-cool.

ag_08g8gt_frlt1.jpg

And of course the Solstice...

2007_pontiac_solstice_gxp.jpg

So...these are going to disappear, and the Cobalt, Malibu and Impala (yawn) are going to continue?

Not sure that's the best way to recover the brand...

Saturn is going bye bye too. This leaves me with two (maybe more) questions/thoughts:

How will GM bring in the Holden products now? The G8 is totally awesome and needs to continue even if it's as a Chevy (Chevelle?) or Buick (Skylark or Regal?)
Kinda hoping the Cobalt replacement gets the retractable hard top.
Do the sales of the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice justify making a Chevy version? Guy here at work has the Solstice. It is quite nice.
Lastly, do you think Obama will allow any of that?

i have been in the gm dealership since 1995, fresh out of high school. just got layed off today, with no hopes of returning... this is just the beginning folks. they are cutting cadillac down to 400 dealerships nationwide as well. not sure what to make of it but have a few ideas what put "us" in this boat... :?

pontiac screwed up calling the aussie car the GTO. yea it is a sweet really fast car but sorry to call that a GTO is just wrong. the G6 vert is ok other than it looks like it is comming and going the same way from both ends. the G8 is sweet nothing else to say and the solstice should have had a V8 from the beginning. i agree dropping pontiac is a mistake they are making some of the only somewhat cool american cars out there. build stuff that we would actually want to buy and maybe they would not be in this situation.

Yeah that sucks. As an admirer of America's once great industrial power, it breaks my heart to see companies like GM going down the tubes. It's the same over here too. They're cutting out all the good stuff and replacing it with cheap, badly made and totally replacable stuff from Korea and India. I have no problem with where anything comes from, but why does it have to mean that if it's not locally produced, then it has to be ****? Ford and Holden over here produce good quality, exciting cars, such as the Ford G6E (turbo-charged 4 litre, 6 banger) and the Holden SS, Clubsport, Senator (big sucker 8's) but they seem to be outsold by mobile hairdryers... Sorry, don't mean to rant, obviously the demand isn't that great, and I must be one of a dying breed. It does really hurt though to see you guys go through this...

Oh yeah, and the Holden should not be called a GTO at all. In the late 60's you could get GTO's over here while Holden had the Monaro. It misses the point in a nostalgic sense, and it's got the tuff name of SS over here, so why change it??? At least you guys don't call it a Vauxhall like they do in England..Bbbllleeeeeeeccckkkkk :?

And that's my two cents. :D

Yes, it's sad.

After practically inventing the musclecars with the '64 GTO, and with cars like "The Judge", Trans Ams like the '70, the '73 SD455, the bandit '77- '78, the '79 6.6 it seemed like a good comeback some years ago with the new 400hp GTO and the Solstice, like Pontiac was reinventing with some fun cars; too bad to see it go away.

Now Chevy can't build itself a small car so they have to market a rebadged Daewoo as an Aveo. For performance they have the Corvette and now the Camaro but they should market the G8 as a Chevelle or something, the impala just doesn't cut it, not to mention the Malibu.

Seems like there were some chinese investors interested in buying Hummer, maybe they will be sold at wal-mart now?

I also worked in a Chevy dealership like 3 years ago and In all I think GM was offering too many flavors of watered down cars instead of a few truly nice vehicles. The truck line is impressive though with all the technical refinements incorporated lately and the strenght of the chassis and power available in their engines. I always thought the suburban/tahoe should be produced with the diesel/allison 6 speed trans combo of the truck line.

Well, seems like we won't see a new Trans Am.

When I was learning to drive, my parents had almost matching late '63 transitional and '64 Catalinas, wide Posi-Trac, 2nd level 389, :) . My second car was a '64 I scored for $300.oo, too bad I took it over a guardrail :oops: . My current Roadmaster seems kind of cheap by comparison :cry: . Oh well.

Floyd said:
Farewell. Thanks for the memories!

]
I wish i knew a guy with that car, i would recreate that picture for him

Now, im surpirised as heck that pontiac is going
I see alot more pontiac then i do buick and various other GM vehicles. My friend owns a grand prix, and whenever we go in my car somewhere, we see dozens of the same cars, ONLY in silver, we dont count the other ones, because his is silver.

Its a shame, they had some amazing vehicles
(Was oldsmobile GM?)

i've got 2 pontiacs right now, and i'm very sad to see them go. i have a 2000 grand prix i've had since new. i think they did an excellent job on the 97s-02? models, but i did not like the newer ones. my toy is a 1982 trans am, the exact car they used for knight rider. gm has done a bad job on a lot of areas. i think pontiac tried to be too much like bmw and other euro companies. all their cars look the same now, and none have names, only #letter designations. who can tell them apart? G8? stupid. and don't get me started on the new gto, what a waste.
we have bought a jeep grand cherokee, and a chrysler minivan in recent years, gm could not compete with either one. (by the way, the chrysler town and country is a great vehicle, i hope they continue to build them, and would recommend to anyone).
just my opinion(and a little venting)

What gets me is why GM is keeping Chevy trucks and the GM Truck Div? Aren't GM and Chevy trucks about the same? GM Truck Div. might have made some of the big semi tractors that Chevy didn't make but all they'd have to do there is change the name tag. r-e-d-u-n-d-a-n-t :? Gary

I heard the G8 will live on as a Caprice! ..Pontiac memories, had a 75 LeMans, two 79 Grand Prix's, a 70 Catalina, and one of my fave cars, a 65 Bonneville! Bought it for $800 in '95, cruised around and had a blast! ~Adam

Back