poor mans long bike. "LoadMaster"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I been checkin out all the new long bikes and keep thinkin it'd be sweet to be able to haul my tech kit around, so I have been thinkin about something like this..

IMG_20110124_181832.jpg

anyone got any other ones you can post a pic of to get my brain in gear??

Re: maybe something like this?

Kind of reminds me of the XtraCycle. Although I don't think they have a soft tail.

Cool idea. Looks like the extended wheelbased hauler is more going mainstream. I saw this Gary Fisher Trek in the latest Bicycle Times, it kinda reminds me of Gerry's RRBO #5 bike.http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=29493.
Ya think someone out there is paying attention?
2011-Gary-Fisher-Collection-from-Trek.jpg

Cheers!
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Cool idea. Looks like the extended wheelbased hauler is more going mainstream. I saw this Gary Fisher Trek in the latest Bicycle Times, it kinda reminds me of Gerry's RRBO #5 bike.http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=29493.
Ya think someone out there is paying attention?
2011-Gary-Fisher-Collection-from-Trek.jpg

Cheers!
Dr. T

that looks so clean... I may have to rethink the whole swingarrm thing..

OH ya! towing capability is a must!! thats real sweet!

well. i been lookin around, and I think I a gonna try this type of extension for the cahinstays.. not real sure what the rest is gonna look like... :roll:

msbikeerock.jpg

you might try getting ahold of(or search his posts) N*H*F*F* hes done a few similar builds before(think they were calling them nor cal stretchs)...

You could keep the swing arm if you build any of the structure off the front chainstays.
Something like this but moved forward some to mount on front chainstays. You could even hide all the suspension if you wanted to.
4-22-2008-002-large1.jpg

ran out of rod, hopefully I'll get the rest of it melted together tomorrow.. :roll:

IMG_20110129_202213.jpg

scrumblero said:
ran out of rod, hopefully I'll get the rest of it melted together tomorrow.. :roll:

IMG_20110129_202213.jpg
I like what you got going here with the whole thing welded up. Your going to like it, I like mine more and more everytime I use it because I only take it out when it needs to go to work. You got a workhorse and a thing of beauty to boot!
Question:
Have you thought your chain line through? I didn't on mine and had to put an idler in to reroute it. Also look at my rear brake cable. Not saying that my cable system is right for this bike but mine was made for completely removing the extention off the bike and setting the original bike back to what it was. I must try the whole complete welded up bike concept, yours looks great!
Edit:--- I just noticed your work bench clamp.......sweet 8)
Graylock

Re: poor mans long bike.

thanks man! I hope it works out.

ya I figured I'd have to run an idler off the old swing arm where it bolted up to the original frame, what'd you use for your idler pulley??

well.... after putting wheels on it and setting it on the ground, I decided to change some of the angles, so i chopped it up and started over! :lol:

heres how it looks now...all welding is DONE!!!

I put on my backpack and stuck a pipe through the BB and jumped up and down on it for a bit to give it the geekasaurus stress test.. :p

IMG_20110130_140654.jpg

I can see the change for the better but my 2cents says you still might
need a diagonal brace from the BB to fill in the trapazoid you got going
there. Remember you took out the seat stays.

Graylock

ya, I might have to beef it up..we'll see :lol:

I figured I better put a long rack on it too ..... :roll:

IMG_20110130_212738.jpg

Back