Pre-War Elgin- All Cleaned Up.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I went to look at an X-53 yesterday from a fellow member and after failing to seal the deal I came home with this '40-'41? Elgin instead and for a LOT less money. Its a hodge podge of lots of incorrect parts of different vintage but I feel its pretty cool none the less. I plan to do very little to this other than swapping out the bars and ditching that horrible fender light :)

001.jpg

After-
001-1.jpg

Re: Pre-War Elgin

Now that's a cool bike! :D Really like the tank on this one :wink:

Have a Happy New Year! :D I'm sure this is a happy start :mrgreen:

tanksalot said:
You can drop that Twin Bar in the Back ground off at my house if its just going to sit there .. :mrgreen:

Man you have a good eye! Im not sure if you can actually see it or if you just ASSUME that EVERYONE has a Twin just sitting around? :p :mrgreen:

tin machine said:
cool find man !! wish i lived over there with youuuus guys , yall got the glory hole for bikes up there :x :wink:

Ya might want to change that to Honey Hole! :lol:

frame/fork/truss rods/stem/seat post look '41 elgin.
cant tell from the pic but does it have the stops on the drop outs for a center stand?
nice find either way

beatcad said:
frame/fork/truss rods/stem/seat post look '41 elgin.
cant tell from the pic but does it have the stops on the drop outs for a center stand?
nice find either way

I agree with those parts being Elgin and it seems that the tank, crank, pedals and seat are Columbia. The fenders may be Elgin as well as the chain guard but im not 100% on those parts. The frame those have ears for a drop stand and the rear fender has a hole that looks to be where a drop stand clip was once mounted.

yeah, i ment to say the sprocket was columbia.
the rear rack could be any aftermarket supplier :roll:

That bike is definitely Westfield built, but it has a lot of extras too! It looks a lot like my mid 40s Columbia / Westfield. My guess is your bike was restored awhile ago since the paint is newer and the seat was recovered.

Same tank, fenders, sprocket, stem, bars, truss rods, etc. Chain guard, wheels, rack, and light are incorrect. The rack and light look to be from the 60s. The seat looks similar to mine - should be a Persons?

Here's my bike for comparison:
photo-1_zps1a99cafd.jpg

And catalog photography:
3-Copy.jpg

shawn57187 said:
That bike is definitely Westfield built, but it has a lot of extras too! It looks a lot like my mid 40s Columbia / Westfield. My guess is your bike was restored awhile ago since the paint is newer and the seat was recovered.

Same tank, fenders, sprocket, stem, bars, truss rods, etc. Chain guard, wheels, rack, and light are incorrect. The rack and light look to be from the 60s. The seat looks similar to mine - should be a Persons?

Here's my bike for comparison:
photo-1_zps1a99cafd.jpg

And catalog photography:
3-Copy.jpg

thanks for posting the pic of your Columbia, it was actually my recent obsession with finding a early 40s Columbia that inspired me to buy this bike.

I gave the Elgin a good cleaning and re-grease and Im pretty happy with what she turned into. I had the grips, pedals, light and seat here for another Elgin project but I think they will be staying right where they are. I also have a couple of correct-ish Elgin racks kicking around so one will soon find its way on here and then shes done and ready for some Spring cruising!

001-1.jpg

Back