"Prewar" bike? what war? I/II/Korea/Nam/Iraq/Iran?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, I always thought pre-war means pre ww2.

images

The BIG one...WW II

Here's the crash course:

Durring WWII civilian bicycle production stopped and many "old" at the time bikes were tossed into scrap drives.

After the war, when production resumed, the rear dropouts changed to a forward (vs. prewar rear facing with adjuster screws in the frrame). These new dropouts were/are called a "fork dropout". Some other things changed on post-war bikes. Skiptooth chains and sprockets really began to disappear, styling changed on items like seats, tires, grips, pedals, some with the resumption of production, some soon after in the early 1950's.

Most notalbe are the subtle changes felt throughout consumer goods in these post vs pre-war times as for a plethora of reasons, things became more mass-produced and of arguably lesser quality on the whole. This trend really took-off in the 1960's and continued to grow with time. The turning point can be attributed to the time of the war and causes relate to the war itself in ways too many to explain here.

Sp "pre-war" means a little more than the date. It's kind of sums up a bunch of stuff. :mrgreen:

now if someone would just define classic , vintage , and antique and get the mass population of bicycle sellers to use them appropriately :mrgreen:

Back