Project Chris

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More parts.
Just got these Worksman wheels in from @ind-chuckz. I love these super heavy duty 11g spokes! The front is 26" with a drum brake and the rear is 24". I'll have the rear coaster hub this week (also from Chuck) and will lace it up later.
101_3124.jpg

The tires are 26x2 Serfas Gator-F on the front and 24x3 Duro Wildlife Leopard on the rear. These tires should provide a pretty good clue to the direction this build is taking!
101_3125.JPG

101_3126.jpg

Never would have guessed kuh-nobby tires with a TRM tank and that saddle. I'm guessing more dirt tracker than klunker? Intrigued as usual....:39:
Your getting very warm!:)

Your getting very warm!:)
Oh oh. I think TRM is going over to the dark side of pedal bikes. He's going to put a gas tank inside the shroud of the Convert tank and mount a motor to this mx style machine....

Oh oh. I think TRM is going over to the dark side of pedal bikes. He's going to put a gas tank inside the shroud of the Convert tank and mount a motor to this mx style machine....
d3884573777c80bff020544f01f6dc15e9a6840e196ae07f754decc979a8a635.jpg

You're really good at this! I was going to reveal my intentions as the work progressed, but now that you've done it for me, I have no surprises left!

Chris will be a mix of bobber/scrambler (bobbler) style. And yes it will be motorized and use a TRM tank as an actual fuel tank.:happy:

Last edited:
Didn't mean to spoil your surprise, "Chris". :shake::wink1:

Bobbler.....I like that! The transformation will keep us glued to our seats that's for sure!

Didn't mean to spoil your surprise, "Chris". :shake::wink1:

Bobbler.....I like that! The transformation will keep us glued to our seats that's for sure!
No problem, it will make it easier than trying to conceal it till later. Good guess!
This will answer two questions for me.

1. Can a girls frame handle the engine? I've never seen one on a girls bike.

2. How to turn a TRM tank into a tank?
It will answer two questions for me too!:21:

As usual, my fork has to stay clear of the headlights so Chris will get a rat trap springer from a rare 1959 Western Flyer Golden Anniversary 'Golden Flyer'. The truss rod on one side had been bent before I got it, so rather than straighten it back I decided to bend the other side to match because I actually like the way it looks better than the original straight leg!

Here's the before and after comparison:
101_3128.jpg
101_3130.jpg

The front Worksman drum brake has to be mounted to the fork but wasn't intended for a springer. So after thinking through several ideas I finally settled on a bracket that would slip over the rocker without any mods to the fork and bolt to the existing bracket on the hub.

I first made a cardboard template to get the proper shape and then traced it to some plate steel and cut it out. The bends were made the old fashioned way with a bench vise and a hammer.
101_3137.jpg

101_3136.jpg

It seems to be rock solid after bolting it in place.
101_3138.jpg

101_3140.jpg

Also worth pointing out here, the axel was oversized for the drop outs so I filed flat spots on each side of the axel for it to fit. I never open up the slot on the fork in this situation. It's much easier to replace an axel than it is to replace a vintage fork in the event that it doesn't work or I change wheels.

Last edited:
d3884573777c80bff020544f01f6dc15e9a6840e196ae07f754decc979a8a635.jpg

You're really good at this! I was going to reveal my intentions as the work progressed, but now that you've done it for me, I have no surprises left!

Chris will be a mix of bobber/scrambler (bobbler) style. And yes it will be motorized and use a TRM tank as an actual fuel tank.:happy:

:13: WHOA! This build is going to be insane! Now we are doubly intrigued!

Btw, just to let you know you have fans here in the Philippines, the guys in my club will be watching this build for sure!

Last edited:
Back