Raleigh cotter pins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the cotter pins needs to be tightened on my Raleigh. I checked out Sheldon Brown's page on cottered cranks and other than the specialized tool, he recommends using a hammer. Has anybody else used the hammer method? Any recommendations? Thank you.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cotters.html

Tosa2112 said:
One of the cotter pins needs to be tightened on my Raleigh. I checked out Sheldon Brown's page on cottered cranks and other than the specialized tool, he recommends using a hammer. Has anybody else used the hammer method? Any recommendations? Thank you.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cotters.html

if they're badly worn from being loose a while it may not help.....but yeah, give it a smack and then tighten the nut (carefully).

Make sure to rotate the crank between smacks as not to ruin the bearings. Maybe you could try a c-clamp wth a small piece of pipe over the nut end.

Make sure the crank arms are exactly 180 from each other. I've tightened them up only to discover they were off slightly, making it pedal funny, and the soft metal of the cotters is good only once or twice.

Thanks guys. ej, good idea with the c-clamp. That did the trick with minimal hammering but it seems that I need a new pin.

Mark - PM'd you.

Wildcat said:
Make sure the crank arms are exactly 180 from each other. I've tightened them up only to discover they were off slightly, making it pedal funny, and the soft metal of the cotters is good only once or twice.

Amen to that.

I made this device a few years back because I was so done with wacking that cotter with a hammer :shock: .
CotterPress-01.jpg

I made it from a C-clamp that had lost the swivel end and then ground the other end into a fork to let the cotter pass through. Usually works good and when you get to a really stubborn pin you give the clamp a slight tap with a hammer and it's good.

GL

I used a 1/2" fine thread bolt. Works awesome, lots of pushing force!

Thanks for the advice guys! I got a new cotter pin from the LBS and it's all good!

Latest posts

Back