Rare Pre-War Elgin Motobike...NOW WITH PHOTOS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Sorry, no photos yet...it's coming in the mail. But it's a rare men's prewar frame/fork set/ Did somebody ask "How rare is it"? Well, you'll just have to wait and see. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Photos below.

Re: Rare Pre-War Teaser

Alright I can't hold back any more. Here are a couple pics of the Elgin Motobike. Of course these were when the bike was whole. I managed to grab the frame, fork, truss rods, fenders, when it got parted. That pretty much takes care of the unique stuff at least. They should be in the mail.

So yeah, notice the lugged frame construction, the Monark chain ring and the odd fork crown. None of them are from a Westfield bike. If somebody can show me another like it (even just a frame), I would appreciate it. Even a frame like this that is badged differently. Trying to figure out who made this bad boy. All signs point to Monark, but nobody really knows for sure.

I'll take more pics when I get her.

Ok Dan, I did some digging and here is a link to the thread involving a bent version of the same bike from FIVE YEARS BACK, wow it didn't seem that long ago!

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11655&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15

I can't add anything past what I posted then (other than resurrecting my photo-links) as I have not seen another one of these since...that makes only three known to me.

Anyway, when you post more pictures we can delve into any additional meaning they may present.

Dan, I'm glad you scored this bike and that most of it's originality and integrity will be preserved in the process. I posted info on this bike on the CABE when it came up there for sale in the hope it might find a sympathetic buyer. It is interesting to me that the bike had been widely posted there before the sale offering with apparently no one noticing it was different from the run of the mill Elgin Moto-balloon. I'd say all you need is a curmudgeonly attitude to switch over to that site but it appears that historic appreciation may be stronger on this side of the aisle.

Wow, thanks Phil! It's funny, you mentioned seeing another when we talked before and I primarily looked on the Cabe for that info. Who knew it was here all along. Some amazing info in that link. Thank you!

As you know, the Cabe is where I found this. I saw your post in the sale thread and thought the bike was already gone. Luckily we made a deal for it.

UR welcome Big Dan!!

Nice, Bike & interesting frame ..
Heres a frame Comparison photo for you .. :D Heres is the standard more common Elgin frame ..
With a few add ons . :lol:

DSC09979_zps5259890d.jpg

Back