Rat Klunker (FINISHED! With 2 hours to spare!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Rat Klunker (Almost a Rider!!! 7/27)

Custom etched brass headbadge!
469c458b-601d-9796.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Welcome to the wild, wonderful world of last minute building!

I work best when I'm under a deadline, it's when I do my most creative work. Blame it on ADD, or whatever... but it works!

Tonight, I finished hooking up all the cables, adjusted everything, and painted the tank plate. Still need to put on the headbadge and chainguard, but that won't take long... but it's a rider! Shifter works flawlessly, the brakes... not so much. The cheap V-brake spring perches are plastic, they tend to warp when you get on the brakes, and the adjuster screws go around the spring instead of on it, so might have to change those out. Still, it'll be ready for pics! Front brakes I managed to get working okay, but the rears are shot so I will scrounge and see what I have for spares. (I hate v-brakes with plastic parts!)

Pics and video coming tomorrow! :)

Re: Rat Klunker (Ridable, down to the wire! 8/4)

Way to go funkman**.
Can't wait for the photos.

** Every time I type that I rememver Peter Frampton on Do You Feel Like We Do when he says "Funkman on the keyboards, Funkman".

Re: Rat Klunker (Ridable, down to the wire! 8/4)

Krylon X-Metals paint on clear acrylic? Why not?
44de368f-4ad4-e2b8.jpg

Drilling acrylic is easy to crack, so use some tape. High drill speed, slow pressure, and voila!
44de368f-4c4d-d3ed.jpg

Going to eat something, then I will post completed pics.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

BRAVO for finishing!
congRATs!
Hope you had fun!

kingfish254 said:
BRAVO for finishing!
congRATs!
Hope you had fun!

You know, I had an absolute blast! It wasn't as crazy and creative as I'd have liked... I could've used another month or so, but then, I would have been waiting till the last minute again anyway. :mrgreen:

I love building bikes... ANY kind of bike. I had the choice of making three or more bikes based on the frames I had available. I was ready to do a boardtracker singlespeed, or a 20" muscle bike, but at the last minute, the klunker showed up, and the rest is history!

This bike is going to get a LOT of miles on it!

Peatbog said:
Oh man, that would have been cool! The world needs more 20" muscle bikes, I tell you.

I've still got this one, so who knows, maybe next year?

Peatbog said:
That looks like a great rider, and if I remember right, that had the aluminum frame, so it is probably fairly light besides.
Correct! I don't have an accurate scale, but it's around 28 pounds with steel fork and handlebars. I could probably shave a little bit off, but eh, it's still an awesome bike. I don't think I would change anything. Wish I could get aluminum BMX bars.

Anyway, I'll keep the 20" bike for my kids, or should I show up for a group ride with it? LOL

Back