Rat 'n Roll

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a local pickup from the bay, pretty cheaps an old skippy Rollfast

43bc_1.JPG

Dude slimed the tires to make it rideable but the axles are pretty losse, front tire rubs fenders when you turn. It's been lightly sprayed with some red paint but I think that'll come off easy. A tune-up & grease, pull the fenders and chainguard and it'll be a nice rat.

do you have any close ups of the headbadge? just looked closer and it looks like somethings out farther than the rest of it(im guessing its like that from the factory)

sensor, some of the early rollfast have this neat 3D badge, don't have a picture of this one but it looks like the one below. There's some history of the parent company making ball bearings which what some surmise the balls to be, but who knows, I've almost bought one of these badges to put on a schwinn before.

c44a_1_sbl.JPG

Finally had a chance to clean it up a bit, a little acetone revealed the darts in the original paint on the frame and fork. The rust patina is perfect just need to strip the rest of the barn red paint. No need for fenders in So*Cal, and I hate chainguards. The wheels are pretty shot but I have a set of rusty S2s that I almost used on the RBBO2 bikes probably swap them in after swapping the rear hub guts and I'm done

IMG_0624.jpg

Original bars were too narrow, so swapped some old schwinn bars of correct period rust, and the grips matched. anybody wants teh original bars PM me, yours for shipping cost.

IMG_0629.jpg

Closeup of paint darts
IMG_0630.jpg

Closeup of badge
IMG_0631.jpg

Dang it, was hoping just the left pedal axle was severely bent, but the left crank arm was also twisted a fair amount, luckily I have some period rusty cranks laying around. Removed the BB last night some cleaning to do there.

Stripped the bike down, some interesting construction in both components and detail.

Skippy chain master link still worked, desipte being encased in a combination of dirt, hardened grease, and rust, siiting in some lacquer thinner getting clean right now.

For it's time this bike was ahead of most I have seen as far as protecting bearing(although they were all trashed anyway). There were top caps for both sides of the bottom bracket as weel as the topof the headset seen in this photo. Another oddity is a 27/32" seatpost?!?
IMG_0635.jpg

The chainring was held on by a round "nut" with on an identation that allowed it to be "drifted" loose(beat with a hammer and punch).
IMG_0633.jpg

The headset was pretty loose, threads got wworked a bit, still enough left though
IMG_0640.jpg

Just need to finsihing cleanup of frame and fork
IMG_0637.jpg

Soaked the chainin lacquer thinner to get all the grease off then soaked in evapo-rust to get all the rust off, got abunch of forks that need work might be time to breakdown and get a 1 inch die set. You can see the diamonds in the side plates again.

IMG_0647.jpg

Back