rat rod sleds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, so maybe this shouldnt be here, but as it snowed last night i got to thinking about the sleds we had as kids. not this plastic crap you see today, im talkin about the old runner sleds. some of them were pretty cool lookin, and i would bet anybody that is into old bikes has some pics around of old sleds. we used to wire brush the paint off the runners and wax em up and man, were we fast!
so, if you got some pics, lets see 'em. humor those of us that cant ride bikes because of the snow. hopefully this brings back memories that make us all smile.

Ah now I wish I had my old sled it was a hand me down from my uncles few times we had snow that was suitable for it those things were fast.

Been there, done that, with a car hood. Back in the 50's we had a street half a block away that had a big hill on it and it dead ended into our street. There was a ditch we had to jump and then we had a large field to slow us down. We slid down that hill on anything we could find but the most fun was a car hood. My two brothers, two neighbor boys and myself could all slide at the same time.
There is a major snow storm, followed by an ice storm, forecast for Atlanta beginning tomorrow night. No car hood but we have several sleds including some of the metal runner type. I'll polish and wax the runners tonight. Pray I don't break a hip!!!!

yeppers!!! I have about 6 of them bad boys. My kids and I go sledding when we get a chance and are the envy of the hill with them things.
Once i get a chance I will shoot some pics for here for you guys.

Like this?

Elgin.jpg

CCR said:
TheFlyingDingo said:
What if you waxed the botom or something?

i've got some experimental silicon based kitchen lubricant my company is developing ... :mrgreen:

Dingo- The snow was soft so the was probably the biggest issue. I need to try another day.

CCR- my favorite movie.

i wouldnt ride that saucer sled, i got this plate in my head right under my part....
definatly one of the best movies ever! 8)

MattJP said:
Like this?

Elgin.jpg

just wanted to say that looks like fun, for some reason it reminds me of learning to drive with my mom in the car and how she'd frequently stomp on the imaginary brakes on the passenger side :lol:

Back