Rat Trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my trike finished (well as finished as a Rat Rod gets). This one was inspired by big AL's 48 Dually. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14003 I loved the idea of using a wagon for a bed and making it look like an old truck. Mine was a very low budget build as most of the parts were free or traded for. I started with an old trike rearend my brother gave me and a 50's Schwinn girls frame. The girls frame got chopped up and converted to a boys bike and stretched quite a bit.

RatTrike23.jpg

RatTrike24-1.jpg

I added a wooden tank with some woodburning and painting (My wife done the drawing for me as I can't even draw decent stick figures).

RatTrike25.jpg

It had a 3 speed hub but no brakes. I tried making 2 different SA 3 speed coaster brake hubs work but couldn't get either one to quit slipping. So I found a mountain bike front wheel with disc brakes and respoked the hub into a steel rim, welded a mount for the caliper to the fork, and made a suicide brake lever similar to the one Double Nickle used on his build off bike. I already had the disc brake on and was trying to figure out how to make a foot operated brake lever for it but liked this way better when I saw it. viewtopic.php?f=51&t=28639

RatTrike27.jpg

RatTrike28.jpg

I found an old rusty wagon but it didn't fit the trike so I cut about 6 inches of the back of it . I then cut it inhalf down the middle and welded a new floor in it. I used the part I cut off the end to fill in the front of the bed. I added a set of taillights and some exhaust pipes made from a vacuum cleaner hose. Still need to make a tailgate for someday and a license plate.

RatTrike29.jpg

The frame wanted to twist on me where it connects to the rearend so I made me a set of sway bars that fit along with the look I wanted.

RatTrike30.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.

You did a real nice job of this build. It's got the old school wheel look with a touch of disk brake. It's got a touch of that old huckster with the bed, chain and all. It was the twin tail pipes that made me look over the pictures one more time 8)

Graylock

Right on. Love the inset tank and the hand break. The rear torsion bars where much better idea then what I came up with to help with the frame flex. Long Live the Rat Trikes.I may have to retro fit that idea on my trike if you don't mind.
Nice truck Bro
AL.

Thanks for the feedback guys and glad you like it.

big AL said:
Right on. Love the inset tank and the hand break. The rear torsion bars where much better idea then what I came up with to help with the frame flex. Long Live the Rat Trikes.I may have to retro fit that idea on my trike if you don't mind.
Nice truck Bro
AL.

Please feel free to use any of my ideas that you like. That is what I like about this site plenty of inspiration.

big AL said:
Oh and maybe a little tailgate out of wood and a chains with pins to hold it up would look sweet. 8)

That is exactly what I had in mind for the near future. I am also planning to add a battery box in the bed to run the lights.

g-ratter said:
Like the color scheme. Nice variation from the usual satin black.

Thanks. The color is Duplicolor Hot Rod Gray Primer. The pics give it a slight bluish cast due to the lighting but it is actually charcoal gray. I love black bikes with red wheels and whitewalls but wanted something a bit different for this one.

Back