ratrodbikes tv show yes i was seriously asked about this idea

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
so while in my shop today. one of my neighbors came by to do what i thought was complain about all the noise and commotion.
it turns out i could not have been more wrong.
he had an interest in what i was doing and never heard of the term ratrod bicycles.
so, with that being said i took him in and showed him what basically is the chaotic boring somewhat assinying lifestyle that i call rat rod bicycling.
i showed him my Schwinn pig bike build and let him take it for a ride.
he was won over and loved the concept of ratrod bicycling.
so with that being said not only did i hook another customer but another member for the site as i mentioned this site to him.
so a good day right? i get someone addicted to my hobby and i get a new member here as well.
well there is more. he works for cw15 in Omaha Nebraska and he tells me he thinks there might be a good idea for a reality type show on ratrod biking.
normally i would write such jibberish off as bullspit and just do the ol' nod and agree and let him say his piece
well he asked me to bring him to work so i could see he wasn't lying
sure enough he works for cw15 as a news reporter.
so with all this being said he says he is supposedly going to pitch the idea of a reality based tv show where people follow around and watch ratrodbike builders in action and kinda see what makes them tick as well as learn how to do custom work.
where i am just a mediocre at best builder i decided, if this guy is legit and true, to throw the idea to my fellow rrbers and see if anyone would be interested in doing such a thing.
i do not know much as the idea was just pitched to me today, but if it does happen i am gonna do my best to promote some of the best of the best on here as well as this site(providing steve oks it)
so is this something people would want to do?
i will keep in touch if it comes thru and post the details here
Sean

Do we get to come up with zippy catch phrases and terms like "rusty gold" and "bundle"?
Sounds fun, let us know if anything comes of it.

It's funny...this discussion has come up a few times over the years on the forum. After pouring myself into this site for the past 8 years, the idea of a reality based show on custom bicycles has been spoken of many times around my house and friends.

I always joke about it and say that no network would be interested in having a show with me in it because I don't have any tattoos, an explosive temper or a drinking problem. :21:

I guess the question would be whether rat rod biking would be too niche to appeal to a broad enough market for a TV series. The shows that deal in cars and antiques have a major group of people that are interested already. They also offer great variety.

I tend to think about shows that already exist and what has made them successful. American Chopper, Biker Build Offs, Fast N Loud, Storage Wars, American Pickers...they all have a lot of variety and have some kind of a win or lose situation involved.

People are so accustomed to the extremes now days. Whatever was being built on the show would have to be pretty amazing each week to get people to tune in.

i agree with that
there is some pretty serious and unbelievable builders on this site.
i told him to check the site out and see what people can do.
it's amazing.
i don't know what his plans are for the show if he does do it.

as far as tattoos and drinking no i don't have those.
but sometimes a bike will get the best of me and it becomes the first bike to orbit earth lol.
but usually i just calm down go for a ride and chill out so yeah not really that hot tempered either.
i just hope if this show does actually come thru it doesn't ruin the hobby by making false pretenses and capitalizing on the negatives and mistakes people make.
i would like to see one where they capture the true talents of the builders out there.
we shall see what he comes up with if he does go thru with this.
Sean

Steve, while the interest in this hobby is small, the hobby/interest/job is almost beside the point. Many of these shows are fascinating because of the people. Find some interesting and talented people who geek out on bikes, and people will watch. I've binge watched Moonshiners, not because I'm interested in moonshine bootlegging, but because the wacky people.

I like watching Duck Dynisty. Not much interest in making duck calls but these guys are fun to watch.
I think rat rodding could make a good show if the cast had long beards:banana:

Man, a chance to be on t.v............
My catch phrase would shock.
My tattoos would frighten.
I am to busy at 4:20 to be filmed.
Man guys, I am a shoe in!
Honestly, it really could not get as bad as the grey reality motorcycle shows! Or that drag race show! What a bunch of hyped up overblown momma drama.
Regardless, I bet we all would, "tune in!"

All my tattoos were done with invisible ink...I guess I'm out.

I would get to show off my tramp stamp
Plumber-Tramp-Stamp.jpg

Steve, while the interest in this hobby is small, the hobby/interest/job is almost beside the point. Many of these shows are fascinating because of the people. Find some interesting and talented people who geek out on bikes, and people will watch. I've binge watched Moonshiners, not because I'm interested in moonshine bootlegging, but because the wacky people.

Yes...and I'm afraid I'm just not kooky enough to hold an audience...ha ha! :21:

It helps when you have one regular group of characters to focus on that are always into something different each week. We all know that the shows are contrived and all of the drama is intentional. Whether you like that or not, it's obviously what causes people to tune in otherwise every show on today wouldn't be doing it.

One possibility though is that people are getting tired of this model and are ready for something new.

let's make a list of builders whose bikes would be deserving of this kind of show.
that would be the problem right there
there are so many i do not know who to choose from.
i literally see hundreds of bikes i fall in love with instantly so choosing just one or a few is a hard one.
i know a few here but i am just naming names here nothing in stone just the ones i think of that i like to see building.
kingfish240,lukethejoker,uncle stretch if he was still building,railrider definitely,of course steve,devon science,
the list goes on but the ones i mentioned would be good candidates for such a show.
like i said i cannot choose just one or a few there is literally hundreds i like here.
Sean

The best subject would be a family owned bike shop with eccentric family members that are into building custom bikes for customers. They would be the type that would be involved in their community and always be doing something to promote the hobby. That seems to be a successful model these days for reality TV.

Not saying that Dan Koenig at Ichi Bike is eccentric or kooky or anything, but he does have a cool shop that builds custom bikes and he has the tattoo parlor next door. He gets his family involved and he seems to take part in the community activities. Oh..and he's covered in tattoos and is in Iowa. :21:

Not saying that Dan Koenig at Ichi Bike is eccentric or kooky or anything, but he does have a cool shop that builds custom bikes and he has the tattoo parlor next door. He gets his family involved and he seems to take part in the community activities. Oh..and he's covered in tattoos and is in Iowa. :21:
Perfect!

Luke.

terry66, ceebee, the renaissance man, smoopy, texasbigjohn, expjewa, tvc15, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc ...............................................
There is no way to end the list of builders that are worthy.
As far a characters go, we have plenty of them here too, at least as far you as you can tell from someone's typed words. Most of us are probably boring and bland as can be in real life. :rofl::grin:

honestly, IchiBike was at the top of the list I started. I also think Chop's House of Speed and Style would be awesome. Hot Rod Jen was already featured in a magazine that will go unmentioned ;) and would be good on a show (well I think so). I mean come on, a hot rod chick AND an awesome pinstriper! What's not to like about that. and maybe karfer would be good too.

Back