Rebuilding a broken Straight 8

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the amount of riding and whippet running down near the boat harbour your old frame might be worth holding onto. I know there are a couple of ally ‘tinny’ style boat builders around. They would have the gear and if they heat treat the hulls chucking a bike frame in as well would be ‘carton of beer’ territory.

Cheers - The problem might be that the seat tube is broken clean through below the weld line - ?

tube.jpg

Just waiting for the acrylic to dry on some small graphics and the 'Whippet Good' rebuild is done. If it ever stops raining - we've had days of it and I'm not riding far in the wet till I get some more saddle soap into that brand-new Brooks.

I was really gun shy about breaking the frame again with the suspension seat post I had on it. It cleared the welds but not enough that I wasn't babying it over every bump. So I bought a 600mm Mars MTB post and it goes waaaaay down the seat tube snugly with a dollop of the good grease. It would look much better slammed - but ... tall.

I also fitted some nylon MTB pedals because they are far more Whippet compliant. Don't look nearly as cool as the Maltese Crosses - but ... flighty dogs.

Because the frame is quite ratty under my matte coats I also removed a lot of the decoration. Fits better.

It also has a Garmin and a rear mirror because ... motorcycles. I like a Speedometer and the Edge 25 suits it. The mirror helps keep an eye on Mrs BDC on her new e-bike.

The seat bag - I like - but not enough to hide the lovely springs.

s8f7.jpg

s8f2.jpg

s8f3.jpg

s8f4.jpg

Latest posts

Back