Recent yard sale finds - low-end BMX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Rampar is probably from the late 70's. Sugino crank is stamped "Sugino 178," which might suggest the date... Lester alloy mags are really heavy, like a flywheel - I put the bike on the stand and started the front wheel spinning, and noticed that it was still going several minutes later! Probably going to sell this one after cleaning it up. I am not responsible for the "innovative" seat mounting.

rampar01.jpg

Murray x24k cruiser with some of the sloppiest welds I've seen on a bike. The owner painted over the minor surface rust on chrome frame with a rattlecan, but the chrome was in good shape underneath. Unfortunately I had to strip the stickers in the de-painting process. Original steel rims are a mess, I'm going to put the hubs (ACS front, Shimano rear) on some modern hoops. I dig the coaster brake, and I was thinking about adding a three-speed.

murray_x24_03.jpg

thats a decent find i really like that rampar. and that murray thats the one mouth rode in the movie the goonies. :D

YHM. I have a friend that use to have a bike like that Rampar bmx bike growing up. I'm sure he would want it.

Yeah, that Rampar is nice! Those old metal mags are cool, I had a set of Motomags on a Mongoose that weighed as much as the rest of the bike, probably more.

That's a Rampar R10. I'd say it's most likely from the late 70s. It has a MCS stem (4 or 6 bolt?) that's probably worth more than the whole bike. The Murray is an X24 from '82 or '83. Sweet finds.

jjvh66 said:
That's a Rampar R10. I'd say it's most likely from the late 70s. It has a MCS stem (4 or 6 bolt?) that's probably worth more than the whole bike. The Murray is an X24 from '82 or '83. Sweet finds.

Yeah, I identified the Rampar on BMX museum, but I didn't know about the stem, thanks for the info. It's a six-bolt - it's a ..... to clamp the bars evenly. A previous owner re-painted the stem and bars, but it doesn't look like they sanded first, it should come right off.

I put the bars on my tandem last night and decided to build it up with BMX parts.

Silent H said:
Must be nice to go garage saling in Feb. We got 8 inches of snow yesterday.

Nice bikes BTW :wink:

It's almost too hot to walk the entire flea market now. It's cute now, but I'm afraid we'll be in serious trouble this summer...

delete

Bunbury said:
This Rampar is probably from the late 70's. Sugino crank is stamped "Sugino 178," which might suggest the date... Lester alloy mags are really heavy, like a flywheel - I put the bike on the stand and started the front wheel spinning, and noticed that it was still going several minutes later! Probably going to sell this one after cleaning it up. I am not responsible for the "innovative" seat mounting.

that is most likely the crankarm lenght...there were 170 175, 178 and 180mm cranks for theses bikes back then

i had exactly the same bike..got stolen

HutchXL24 said:
What color is the stem under the blue paint?

It's blue, but a bit darker. It looks like the rims, stem, and bars were all painted with the same paint. The rims were previously red if the color in the bead area is any indication, but I don't think it was original.

I'll post a detail pic of the stem later if anyone is interested.

I'd be interested for sure. If it's blue and for sale, I'd really be interested. I'm building a Donny Albright 26 inch BMX cruiser and I need a stem for the build.

-Jeffrey

How much for the lester mags I live in central,fl. in lakeland its between tampa and orlando l.m.k. t/y Tony 8)

I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it yet. I was originally planning on selling it locally, but if I can unload the frame on eBay, I'll part it out. The paint on the stem is coming off easily:
stem_01.jpg

But the top is not pretty:
stem_03.jpg

stem_02.jpg

tartosuc said:
that is most likely the crankarm lenght...there were 170 175, 178 and 180mm cranks for theses bikes back then

i had exactly the same bike..got stolen

You're right, I have another set with "Sugino '81" on one side and "Japan 178" on the other...

Back