Rechrome or not ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am refurbishing a 65 Sears Spyder 20".
The sissy bar is kind of rough. Should I have it rechrome or look for a replacement ?
Where would I find a direct replacement and costs ? Thank you

There is a third option, which won't look as good as either of the first two options, but would be much cheaper: sand the heck out of it and hit it with some silver paint (or black or some other color). Come to think of it, it depends on what "kind of rough" means. It could be that it would respond well to the old bronze wool (or aluminum foil) and chrome polish treatment.
Have fun!

7E1AD5E3-CE5C-4379-BB11-5BBF4EF6D291.jpeg
Abeltr…..I had my Cruiser Chromed for $400 and never regretted doing it…..one of my best rides.

There is chrome powdercoat and chrome spray paint.

Prep is everything. Any pits, scratches, dents or missing bits of chrome will show big time under new chrome if you don't get the metal perfectly smooth. Removing the old chrome and sanding to 800 will be needed for decent results no matter what cover you choose.

Triple plate is copper, then nickel, then chrome. Most of the old USA bike makers did not do triple plate which is why the chrome hasn't held up.

Some chrome shops will reverse the process to remove the old chrome prior sanding smooth. Or you can diy with your car battery charger and the right chemicals in a tub.

Back