removing chrome from rims

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a pair of rims that i really want, but the chrome is bad, its bubbling off the rims in some parts including the brake pad area. can chrome be sandblasted off? theres no way im gonna try to sand it all off by hand! or should i try to just sand the chrome off the brake pad area?
thanx, fast eddie outty

:shock: Why would you want to remove chrome off anything?? Chromage is bliss haha.

Uhmm yea you can sandblast it off. Old chrome flakes of easily.

BUT if you really wanted to keep the chrome. You can use Aluminum Foil to clean chrome up. Just wet it down a bit and then apply the aluminum foil like sand paper. SCRUB. Youll see.

try with a pressure washer at full pelt, i made this mistake on a bmx frame.
its now a lovely satin blue.
it peels off like tiles coming off a roof in mad wind

yeah you can sand blast it off. i just blasted off the chrome from a frame i have. i didnt strip it down to bare metal tho. i just brush blasted to take off the sheen. then used 100 grid, then used a self etching primer, then final coated it. my first time with this method tho, so not one 100% sure how it will hold up but lots of auto body guys told me itll be the best bang for the buck.

good luck!

Back