Removing chrome

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sand or bead blasting to remove the crome ,heavy costic acid will remove it !
Blasting and crazy deadly acid can work but not always.
I have blasted chrome in the past and some came off but mostly ended up with pitted chrome (like an old car gets from being on the road for 40 years) that made a better surface to prim & paint but overall not by much.
On some chrome using acids can remove the outer chrome and leave the other metal plating that is part of the chroming process.

I removed the nickel plating on a gun with toilet bowl cleaner once. Sani-flush I think. Don't know what it would do to chrome though. Gary

Lol good old draino used to work on weaker chrome ( especially the stuff used on plastic) but I've tried it more recently and it had no real effect.
My guess its like every other similar chemical and the acids have decreased % in them in recent years. (Example: the Work's toilet bowl cleaner acid % has dropped 2 times in the last 4 years)

Lol good old draino used to work on weaker chrome ( especially the stuff used on plastic) but I've tried it more recently and it had no real effect.
My guess its like every other similar chemical and the acids have decreased % in them in recent years. (Example: the Work's toilet bowl cleaner acid % has dropped 2 times in the last 4 years)
No wonder I can't get those rings out of the toilet now!:21:

Scuff with 220 paper then clean well then use self etching primer might work
I've seen that stuff peel off with a good blast from a blow gun. IF it were me and I was painting over chrome: 80 grit until it is completely dull, wipe down with wax and grease remover, and shoot with a good 2k epoxy primer(I use dplf90 and haven't ever had a peeling issue yet. This is over 14 years later). A good 2k epoxy is also an etching primer. If you are using rattle cans, then who knows.

I've seen that stuff peel off with a good blast from a blow gun. IF it were me and I was painting over chrome: 80 grit until it is completely dull, wipe down with wax and grease remover, and shoot with a good 2k epoxy primer(I use dplf90 and haven't ever had a peeling issue yet. This is over 14 years later). A good 2k epoxy is also an etching primer. If you are using rattle cans, then who knows.
Wow that's sad an air blower peeled it... We used the 220 and etching rattle can primer on all the chrome on my friends Harley last spring and so far 6k+ miles later and only a couple small chips.
We tested 80 grit but it took a lot more work to get the deep scratches out but I agree it would give a better surface for the primer. And epoxy primer is great stuff I saw a fender dent but the primer stayed in tact (worked auto body for 5 years)

And on a funny side note I've been finding newer "chrome" chain rings and other parts that the "chrome" comes off when you try to clean it.

Draino is an alkali, not an acid. I have hundreds of pounds of 99.9% pure lye in my basement, b/c my personal freak-factor is pretty high. I think that, if you were to use enough lye to remove chrome, you're seriously corrode the steel underneath as well.....

Back