Removing old CCM Forks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy Folks,

hope yer all well. I was wondering if anyone has any info about How to remove forks from vintage CCMS....I'm kinda stuck I have everything loosened up but the Forks and I guess what is call the neck will not separate. I have it soaking in WD40 while I wait for a reply. I am also sad to announce, RED ROCKET my 1948 CCM was stolen, so I am having to make myself a new bike.

Cheers

Tim

Stuck necks are one of the worst behind stuck seattubes. Try a PB Blaster. You can try placing a longer bar in the stem and using that for leverage. Also try inserting a thin rod or something through the bottom and hammering from below.

Hey Tim, the only advantage to having a vintage bike stolen is they're easier for police to spot than new stuff. Still sucks though. :( Try a post here; http://www.theystolemybike.com/ you never know.
As far as the stuck wedge bolt, your on the right track, soak it, reinstall bolt, smack it with a hammer a few times. If it doesnt pop, tighten it to where it was before, then tighten just a little more (dont overtighten!!) The idea is to make it move a lil either up or down. Back the bolt off a little and rock the handlebars side to side, repeat hammer time, it will come loose.
Rick

Ok I am now kinda worried. I put the bolt back on and gave it a good bash with my bashOmeter and tried tightening it The threads on the bolt aren't stripped but now when I put the bolt in it's not grabbing anything inside the neck....so obviously it's loose, but the forks and the neck refuse to go their technically correct parting ways! anyhow here's the link to RED ROCKET, the frame I am working on is the exact same, but what was interesting is this one had the remnants of a Sturmey Archer 3or4 speed lever....I'm thinking of putting a Sturmey Archer 8 speed on this one....
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8733

Stand in front of the bike, get the front wheel between your knees, grab the handlebars at the ends and firmly try to twist the handlebars back and forth. Keep putting penetrating oil on the outside of the stem and just twist back and forth until the stem starts to move. It will move, just need to be persistent. Once it moves somewhat freely turn the bike over with the handlebars elevated and hit the stem downward. It may fall onto your toes at that point.

Speed2XS said:
JLarkin said:
Keep putting penetrating oil on the outside of the stem

+1. You may have to do this for a few days, but eventually it will work it's way down.

Plus turn the bike upside down and let it soak in from the bottom.

Ain't old bikes FUN !?! :p :lol: Once you do get the stem out, you'll want to chuck the wedge in a vice, remove the bolt, clean the threads, and reinstall the bolt with plenty of lube, until it spins more or less freely. Otherwise, you'll have issues when it's rebuild time.
Rick

WD40 is not going to do it in my opinion, you need something more agressive, something that creeps past and through the rust like the Blaster someone mentioned or my favorite, Aero Kroil, available at good gun shops.

Back