Removing paint from a decal ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a real nice 63 Traveler :mrgreen: thats original black with nice factory decals but it looks like paint was dripped on the big seat tube decal. I would like to remove the paint without harming the decal...It looks like a bit house paint got dripped on the bike..Any suggestions?

8)

hardware stores sell a product to remove house paint. Not sure if it will harm decals. Easy-off oven cleaner alsoworks, but that decal???not sure. Will it pick off with your fingernail?

I have had very good results removing paint splatters from a bike I was working on using tolulene (sp?). I got it from true value for around six bucks for a quart. It did not affect the painted on decals at all. I just put some on a rag and gently rubbed the oversprayed area. Just be forwarned that if you get carried away with scrubbing, this IS a strong solvent, and it probably will eventually rub the paint off. I don't know how it would affect vinyl decals though. Haven't tried it yet.....

A lot will depend on if the decals are clearcoated over or not.
Always try the least harsh treatments first; ie, a damp cloth, or maybe a bandaid damp on the gauze to soak a while over the paint to soften it, then a softish scraper (a credit card can work well for lots of these kind of things) to get off the high spots, slowly damping/resoaking, etc. and working your way down to the bottom at the decal where you should use a magnifier and go WAY easy and slow.

Back