Resto this Murray Wildcat???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This Murray Wildcat is super rusty. :shock: I took her apart and started to save her once in the past, but put the bike aside when other projects came up. I'm debating about bringing it back out and restoring as a really basic metallic gold 1969 Wildcat. :wink:

IM002092.jpg

IM002094.jpg

Gold rattle can paint looks really weird from my experience. It's not a good choice unless you can use good paint from a gun. (just a tip)

It looks kinda good as-is. Maybe hit it with a quick sand down and paint the frame with some of that red/brown "rusty metal" primer. (not rust converter, it's a primer desinged to go on rusted metal)

Clean the rest of it and be done.

Stripped down:

IM002095.jpg

Bead blasted, primer coat, and metallic gold paint applied:

WildcatPainted-1.jpg

Hey I have that exact same wildcat, but i am using it for a custom build... but i have the original wheels and tires that came with it... the rear is a slick and they both say "THE FAST ONE sport tire" on them with diamonds in between, if you have any info on them i would appreciate it, or if youre interested in them, let me know.

That looks just like the frame I built my daughters 20" rat bike with, only mine had a springer fork. Did Wildcats come with springers as an option, or do I have an older model Murray?

Sweet! I'm glad you decided to save this. I used to have the same bike except mine was purple, not very rusty and missing all the decals. If I had taken it apart and painted the frame, it would have looked like a mint original bike- the chrome was perfect. I kind of miss it. :cry:

http://i44.tinypic.com/95mpon.jpg

Back