Roadmaster Rust & Roll Revival............

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
While I'm collecting parts for a few other projects, I decided to get started on one I have most of the parts for. I purchased the frame, forks, chain guard, crank, sprocket and neck from 2manybikes back in May. Thanks Mark! I had a plan and knew I had the perfect set of wheels off of another Cleveland Welding bike that I parted out. I'm still missing a few small things like the rubber rim bands, a lucky seven seat post and doing a little welding on the handle bars to extend them back a few inches. A trip to the LBS, a fellow biking buddy and my son's house tomorrow will take care of those. I do need a set of Roadmaster fork truss rods if anyone has an extra set lying around. I have the upper bracket and need the rods and nuts, though I'd buy it all if you have them.

Anyways the cleaning and refurbing of all the parts was done this week in my spare time. Cleaned and repacked both hubs. Replaced questionable and missing spokes in both wheels and trued them up in my spare time at work this week. Scrubbed the frame up good and and cleaned what little chrome there is making sure not to disturb the years on aging. I'm adding a set of tomato soup red tires to finish the look. The remnants of white/maroon paint and pin stripes are really beautiful in person.

Heres everything cleaned and ready for assembly........should be able to get started tomorrow!

Now she rusted up beautifully.......I completey agree with you by not over cleaning or repainting it.....Really enjoy this one...Keep us posted friend...I'll be checking up on this one.....

Well................nothing got done but the tires being mounted. Couldn't resist setting things together just to take a look! I'm very pleased so far. Need to get that white powder off the tires before bolting them on. Picture doesn't do it justice....It was getting dark.

SimpleMan said:
Couldn't resist setting things together just to take a look!

In my other life (buiding radio controlled planes) that is what we call, "bench flying". :D

Those tires look great on that bike. Looking awesome!

Well it's most of the way done! I still need a set of fork truss rods, different grips, possibly a light and some sort of old bell. The seat is covered in brown leather from a $5 Goodwill "find" leather coat. The only modification done is 3 1/2 inches added to the handle bars on each side. Used an off brand 1/2" socket cut in half on each side as a spacer/reinforcement and welded them up. Grips cover the work. I'm pleased with it so far and can't wait to add the last few parts. Photo session is over....I'm going for a ride!

Thanks Mark! I'm kinda undecided on the tires. They look better in person, but..........I think a set of brown Quick Bricks would look better on it. The red tires where all I had without spending more money. They are actually for a Black Roadmaster I'm redoing thats completely original. I may cough up the $60 bucks this weekend and order some brown tires.

2manybikes said:
Nice job Jeff,
I kind of regret selling it, but am really glad it is getting the attention it deserves.

This is the bike the tires go on.....and the one that started all this bicycle madness for me!

Very nice! If my Elgin had more of the original paint I would have left it like yours. Fantastic bike!

deorman said:
Corn, wheat, or Fred Flinstone trike? :lol: :wink:

You got me thinking.......what would Fred ride? Those would make for a rough ride!

Wish I could take better pictures. I'm gonna call my rider done for now. Would like to add a saddle bag, light and bell but it may take some time to find parts with the right amount of deterioration to match. Anyways.......my rider, fine tuned, adjusted and ready to ride!

Back