Rollfast

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I painted the rest of the BO11 bike. The base coat is done, 3 more to go. Today was a good day to paint with temperatures in the 70s. I took the dogs out for a hike to my buddies hunting camp. He has a camp dump and he gave me permission to go hunting camp dump diving. There is an old Lazy Boy recliner rocker in the dump hole so I went and removed the rocking chair springs so I could make a saddle. A chain saw and splitting maul and it was out in less then 10 minutes.
IMG_0173.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

I removed the rocking chair springs from their carriage and got down my box of old saddle junk. I think I can make something out out this?
IMG_0176.JPG

Lots of bending and heating to red hot to bend one saddle carriage to fit the seat pan on another.
IMG_0177 1.JPG

IMG_0179 1.JPG

I may or may not use this homemade saddle. I still have to put on the nose spring, reinforce the carriage with some custom bent rods, cut down the sides of the pan, paint it and upholster it. A lot of work yet so I may just say the heck with it?
IMG_0184.JPG

After dinner I put on the nose spring and roughed out the pan. I put it on one of my maggots to see if I like it. I don't like the way it looks. I need to heat the area at the front of the carriage where the nose spring attaches and give it a more graceful transition. I still won't like it all that much. All my bikes are maggots but this seat will have to go on one of my super ratty maggots. In fact I think I will leave it on this bike.
IMG_0188.JPG

Last edited:
I actually like the saddle, and kudos to you for staying with the project till you mounted it! Those Yoopers, they always Finnish what they start!

I'm still working on the homemade long spring saddle. I might use it? To finish the saddle I have to put a new liner in my welder as it needs a little more spot welding. The latest development is that I rubbed out the paint. It was thin in a few spots so it needs more in a few areas. I don't know if I can finish by August first as we have a wedding coming up. I could assemble it now but the paint would be basically one color and I want it to have a little more pop.

I actually like the saddle, and kudos to you for staying with the project till you mounted it! Those Yoopers, they always Finnish what they start!
Where is the forehead slap smiley, we really need it sometimes...

Luke.

I painted everything another layer yesterday with a 2 part paint. It is still a little tacky today as the temperature was in the 50s F yesterday and the humidity was high, but there was no wind. I don't use this toxic paint indoors. Today it is warmer but raining and windy. If I wait for the ideal conditions recommended by the paint instructions: 75-80F degree day with 50% or less humidity and no rain, then it might be next year. I figure one out of three (no wind) of the requirements was as good as I am likely to get up here before August. If you paint it when it is warmer and dryer it hardens up fast. I hope it is dry tomorrow as it is warmer now but damp? I might have to bring it indoors in our walk out basement with the dehumidifiers going? I want to use a 2 color paint scheme and I still have to mask and shoot color #2. I could assemble it now in one color, but I hope I can finish the paint in time of the August deadline.

I am attempting to make paint templates. I am using 2 inch wide PVC tape. I measured the size I wanted and made a paper cutout. I then used contact cement on the paper to stick it onto the PVC tape. Then I spray painted around the paper with white paint. The plan is to cut them out from the stainless steel background mount with Xacto blades and a metal straight edge. I want to make 8 to 12 of these identical masking templates to put on the bike frame and fork. I may quit after one attempt at cutting out if it doesn't work. We will see how it works.
IMG_0317.JPG

This will be interesting.... I'm still trying to grasp the concept..... Hope you are able to 'watch paint dry' soon....

This will be interesting.... I'm still trying to grasp the concept..... Hope you are able to 'watch paint dry' soon....
It's 87F here right now, they say a high of 90F for today and tomorrow and then back to our normal 70F Thursday. Today it's very windy and humid with puddles on the road and the bushes bending sideways. Today and tomorrow will probably be our summer. I put my paint jobs in my truck cab cause it hot as heck in there. That should kick the paint. I'll post pictures of my mask templates before I paint, that should clear up my concept. I don't know if it's a good idea or not, as I said will will have to see.

I cut out the homemade vinyl templates. They were easy to cut out but hard to remove from the stainless steel without tearing or deforming. They were hard to put on the wax paper backing where I am storing them until I remove them and put them on the bike frame. They are very hard to apply straight to the bike frame. I put 2 on the fork and painted, just to see if it will work. The net recommended removing vinyl templates that had been painted over right away but the paint started to stretch in gooey strings, so I stopped. If I wait too long the paint will chip and flake when the templates are removed so I an going to try again later, while the paint is still a little tacky.
IMG_0319.JPG
IMG_0318.JPG
IMG_0320.JPG

Good luck with the dart templates. I hope they work well. Have you thought of using Frog tape instead?

Good luck with the dart templates. I hope they work well. Have you thought of using Frog tape instead?
I have only used the blue masking tape before. Before I started this I looked up removing tape after painting on the net. You are susposed to take Frog Tape off right away too, so I am not sure that it would not get gummed up and smear during removal. I figured vinyl tape wouldn't rip. Have you tried masking with Frog Tap?. When did you remove it? How well did it work? I might have to go this route. I will attempt to remove my vinyl templates tonight after my group ride.

I usually do try to remove the tape within 30 minutes of paint.

You might be referring to what I call a ' 5 footer'...looks fine from 5 feet or further away....

So, when you first described it, you mentioned something about an aluminum backed something or other....can't remember? Thought you were going to mount a dart on the fork and / or frame that would show some relief / raised darts. I guess you meant that you would be using them as a pattern....

Yesterday I finished the paint masking. I had a big problem when someone sprayed out the bird bath with a hose blowing mud all over the bike I had JUST painted. I repainted over some of the mud and the paint lifted so that will eventually have to be addressed. Painting is always the issue up here. Can't get the right day so I just end out painting my bikes whenever in bad conditions. It is going to rain this afternoon so the frame will go back in my shop and the rest will stay in my truck incubator. The problem with he truck is that the seats always leave the cloth weave pattern on your paint, even if you think it's dry when you put it in there. These parts are still tacky but I want to get this done. I plan to disassemble it after this build off and rub out the paint wrinkles and touch up the uneven masked areas. The bike paint won't dry enough before the end of the build off for me the touch up the paint. It will still lift for up to a month. High today in the 60sF, which is more than they were predicting so paint dries real slow. Night time temps have been 40s and 50s.
IMG_0323.JPG
IMG_0324.JPG

Last edited:
The darts look good on there with the whole bike in the picture now! Love the blues together. And your car incubator is classic. Carry on Northern brother!

You might be referring to what I call a ' 5 footer'...looks fine from 5 feet or further away....

So, when you first described it, you mentioned something about an aluminum backed something or other....can't remember? Thought you were going to mount a dart on the fork and / or frame that would show some relief / raised darts. I guess you meant that you would be using them as a pattern....

I had the tape on a stainless steel sheet. I then transfered the pattern from a paper cut out onto the tape by sticking it to the tape with contact glue and then sprayed white over it so that when the paper template was removed I had a pattern that I could follow with an Exacto Knife and metal ruler to cut out the dart pattern. I needed something hard that would not pick up anything on the tape when it was removed so I used the stainless instead of something like wood or Plexiglas. I transfered the cut out darts to wax paper and then placed them on the frame. Some of the wax came off the paper onto the tape and a little is now on the frame in places. If I ever do this again I would transfer the templates to sheet metal instead of wax paper. I made the paper cut out by folding the paper in half and cutting it out with and Exacto Knife and scissors so each side was the same.

Back