Ross Polobike gettin some love.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of my three new/old bikes. My Ross is the first one I'm starting on. I had asked about rust removal, and got advice on using WD-40 or rubbing compound. Neither makes a dent. I'll be using brass wool and WD-40 together in an attempt to remove the worst of the rust and not get too deep into the paint. I know it'll do well on the chrome. These pics will show how bad the rust is. We'll see how it goes!

Oh! I did set the apehangers upright. What an attitude adjustment! :D

Low handlebars...

PA300003.jpg

Upright!

PA300004.jpg

To remove the surface rust you need to get some 0000 steel wool, try it by itself first. :)
Then use the WD40 with it after you get off all the excess surface rust.
You can also try WD40 and aluminum foil, roll it into a loose ball and use the same way as the steel wool. :shock:

nwt76 said:
To remove the surface rust you need to get some 0000 steel wool, try it by itself first. :)
Then use the WD40 with it after you get off all the excess surface rust.
You can also try WD40 and aluminum foil, roll it into a loose ball and use the same way as the steel wool. :shock:

0000 steel wool. Got it. Hubby says he can get it for me. I totally forgot about aluminum foil. That works like a charm on chrome! :shock:

Looks like you got your work cut out for you.
I am working on a Mattel Vroom all chrome frame with just steel wool and it is working pretty good.
I've brought several chrome fenders and wheels back to life using these same methods.
Good Luck and lots of elbow grease :wink:

You better get that bike out of the kitchen before your wife gets home... wait... nevermind :wink:

Motopecane said:
forrestsmith said:
After 30 years of, cleaning, rubbing, scraping, SOS pads, steel wool. I found this article a few years ago. Save your self some time and get way better results, try this. :lol:
http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/lof ... 04702.html

Wow! Thanks for sharing that article is great!

Oh and you have a sweet bike too, can't wait to see it all done up.

WOW! I'm game for that. Perfect for the chrome and bits. Wonder what does it do to paint?

I'm trying to keep the paint largely intact. I want a heavily patina'd look, not heavily rusted. I think my Ross would be a knock out with patina'd frame, with shiny, but worn, chrome. I'm big on scars and tattoos and personality on my rides. :D

vinegar will clean it all up nicely. Fill a rubbermaid full, give it a few days, then wipe the rust away and oil or wax the part you re cleaning. Non toxic and cheap.

Beau said:
vinegar will clean it all up nicely. Fill a rubbermaid full, give it a few days, then wipe the rust away and oil or wax the part you re cleaning. Non toxic and cheap.

Tub full of pure vinegar? Not diluted with water, right?

Well, don't have enough, but I'm gonna grab a gallon or two! :mrgreen:

I can't wait to try it!

Test soaking one fender and the kickstand (along with VW Squareback lug nuts) in pure vinegar... :mrgreen:

1108111854.jpg

I'm really happy someone is actually trying it. I preach about it all the time. Pull them in a day and wash them in water.

Hi guys,

Spend most of my time between here and bmxmuseum.com, and I know there's a few other mutual members here like ratrodbikes himself:)

Lots of info to share between bike enthusiasts regarding refinishing, rust removal, decal removal etc.

Here's a pretty interesting article, getting ready to try this method myself to compare it to vinegar or citric acid powder results:

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=351132

Well, well, well. 48 hour soak. (shoulda been 24, but had a crisis) :mrgreen:

downsized_1112111504.jpg

You can see the line where the tip of the fender was sticking out.

downsized_1112111504a.jpg

Back