Rusty rim, what to do?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a couple of high spoke count rims, a 68 front and a 144 rear. The rear wheel didn't have a tire on it and the rim is pretty rusty in a couple or parts.
Taking off the spokes to clean the rim is pretty much out of the question, otherwise I'm open to suggestion, they're a small amount of rust on the outside of the rim near the spoke nipples but mostly it's on the inside. I'd also like to know what would be a good way of cleaning the spokes.

Thank you.

on the inside youd probably be best off with naval jelly. the outside id use some wd40 with #0000 steel wool and a brass brush. just the wd40 and steel wool on the spokes. its gonna take you forever though :shock:

sensor said:
on the inside youd probably be best off with naval jelly. the outside id use some wd40 with #0000 steel wool and a brass brush. just the wd40 and steel wool on the spokes. its gonna take you forever though :shock:
Thanks, I'm going to try to get a tire on it today and get it rolling.

just take a wire bruch to the inside of the rim as aggresively as possible and spray it with some rustoleum. at least thats what i would do / have done. cleanin up the outside part of the rim would take more patience than i have tho :!:

Well it's done, it looks and feels great, by no means did I take off all of the rust, but did soak it with PB blaster and took off a layer of it.

If you have an angle grinder throw a wire wheel on there to get on the inside of the rim, works for me.

i use sos on all the chrome i clean but i doubt you will be able to work it in between the spokes. and you wonder why i never run those types of wheels on my bikes well this is it!!! if i were going to clean it i would start with an sos pad to get it all lathered up then cut a long thin strip of scotchbright pad and slide it through the spokes then work it back and forth. i would think that would get the worst of it off.

scotch bright pad will scrath the chrome use a wet wash cloth with some sand on it clean the rust and dont scrath the chrome g/l Tony 8)

I know it sounds weird, but aluminum foil with WD40 or chrome polish does the job as well. Mind you it might be difficult in this situation, but it does work to remove rust. It was proposed to me by a reader and I was surprised on how well it removed the rust.

xddorox said:
I know it sounds weird, but aluminum foil with WD40 or chrome polish does the job as well. Mind you it might be difficult in this situation, but it does work to remove rust. It was proposed to me by a reader and I was surprised on how well it removed the rust.
I'm gonna try this one out tonight on my Moms Raliegh.

Gold Street Customs said:
xddorox said:
I'm gonna try this one out tonight on my Moms Raliegh.
I was very happy the way the aluminum foil worked...my moms birthday is tommorow and she wanted her Raleigh fold up back on the road, it is actually in very nice shape other than the front rim had seen alot of cat pee over the years it was pitted pretty bad but all in all it came out presentable. I hope she likes it,more than that I hope she rides it.

Back