SA 3speed hub with a cassete?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been searching so if this was discussed before forgive me. but i have a hub that i need help with and cant seem to find info on.
so its a Sturmey Archer AW hub but ti has a 3 speed cassette on it. so essentally a 9speed? ive been running it on a bike with the chain fixed on it and was wondering if anybody knew what this was. i saw somthing once about AW hubs with 8 or 9 speed cassetes on them. could this be one of those with a changed cassete? :?: im just curious i kinda collect 3speed hubs. i have no clue why, and i dont know much about this one. thanks

look on the hub and you should find a code stamp.

then follow this handy dandy link to sheldon browns page on all the different models (just scoll down until you see yours.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer.html

now i don't know of any 6 speed sturmey archers. but my guess would be the
s5 s5/1 or s5/2

The earliest 5-speed hub, a modified FW. The original S5 used two cables, a conventional 3-speed type on the right, and a bellcrank/pushrod unit on the left. The right lever/cable has 3 positions, and works as a normal 3-speed hub. The left lever/cable converts the hub from a medium ratio to a wide ratio 3-speed. Since the middle gear is direct drive, the left control has no effect on the middle gear.
Most, if not all Sturmey-Archer 4-speeds can be converted to 5-speeds. The planet cage is the same but the axle and large sun gear must be replaced so they engage in both directions. See additional information.

chaunceysj said:
ive been searching so if this was discussed before forgive me. but i have a hub that i need help with and cant seem to find info on.
so its a Sturmey Archer AW hub but ti has a 3 speed cassette on it. so essentally a 9speed? ive been running it on a bike with the chain fixed on it and was wondering if anybody knew what this was. i saw somthing once about AW hubs with 8 or 9 speed cassetes on them. could this be one of those with a changed cassete? :?: im just curious i kinda collect 3speed hubs. i have no clue why, and i dont know much about this one. thanks

I'm pretty sure cyclo made a 3 speed freewheel add on for SA three speed internal hubs. This setup would indeed make a nine speed, if I am not mistaken. I've seen cyclo units on single speed freewheel hubs as well. Not sure if they are the same or not.

Kinda like this...

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=33895&p=331722&hilit=cyclo#p331722

Or more like this in your case, as it sounds...

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11525&p=115113&hilit=cyclo#p115113

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13075&p=183171&hilit=cyclo#p183171

It's a vintage upgrade made by Cyclo. They are like hens teeth and should be preserved. It's basically a 3 cog gear that fits on to a standard SA hub, not a cassette. It had a small derailleur with a shifter that mounted to the top tube.

thanks guys.THis site always gives the best help. i was clueless on where to start with this thing. id never come across one and i wanted to know more about it. So if i understand correctly the external gears are an add on part? not original to the hub? WOuld they be able to be added to any AW hub then?? and was there a specific derailer needed for this set up? or could you get any derailer to work? thanks guys.

chaunceysj said:
thanks guys.THis site always gives the best help. i was clueless on where to start with this thing. id never come across one and i wanted to know more about it. So if i understand correctly the external gears are an add on part? not original to the hub? WOuld they be able to be added to any AW hub then?? and was there a specific derailer needed for this set up? or could you get any derailer to work? thanks guys.

I'm not sure if any of these hubs were ever sold stock with the cyclo freewheel. As far as I know it was an accessory only. I could be wrong on that though, I don't know a lot about them. I think you could put one on any aw hub- at least, I don't see why not. As far as I know, they all have the same driver/snapring setup. I know cyclo made their own derailleurs for these units, but again I don't see why you couldn't get another to work with it. I could be wrong here too, hopefully someone can correct or verify.

Dropout mount derailleurs will work, but you are gonna want to find an older one for a 5 speed. The limit screws will be longer and allow for more adjustment so you don't run the chain into the spokes.

Very cool piece! Cherish it!

will do the reason i asked is i have a road bike and im running the back wheel with this hub because it was the only one i had laced at the moment. i was debating selling the bike and decided i wanted to pull this hub out and put in a single speed hub or just a regular 3 speed hub. and then thought about how odd it was and how id never seen one like it befor. definatly goin into my treasure trove for a new bike. Thanks! :D

Excellent. You would have to squeeze the frame to fit the hub anyway.

I wish I had one of those kits!

The 3 speed freewheel may be spaced for older wider chain.5 speed (think schwinn breese)chain and derailers should work.The sturmey threaded driver is a hard to find part.

I remember fiddling with these in the seventies. They definitely used a 1/8 chain and I remember them needing a longer and very hard to find axle.

thanks guys. id picked the whole wheel up at aswap me for it htink it was $15 bucks :D didnt know much about it just saw the SA hub and took it. cool to find out the background on these parts

Back