SaltHammer Savannah Sand Flats Silver King (1935 Monark Silver King) - Aug01 FINISHED! What A Blast!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is another idea that I am playing around with.
I have this cool vintage jeweled light

20160507_174304.jpg

I've always liked the Delta Hornlites that came on some of the Silver Kings

1936_Silverking_Flocycle_03.jpg
1936_delta_hornlite.jpg

So I'm going to attempt to make my own version with my jeweled light.
I picked up this light from Goodwill.

20160514_155641.jpg

And I cut it down perpendicular to where it was the same diameter as the face of teh jeweled light.

20160521_172218.jpg

Next I'll cut it at a diameter that will feed into bicycle headlight front.

20160521_174543.jpg
20160521_174432.jpg

Then I'll layout some teardrop slots and cut them out.
This is all still an experiment. We'll see how well it goes

Should be another killer cool feature when finished!

The light definitely went on with that new jewel headlamp idea! And I like the painted stripe, maybe a 'brick red' color? Like was mentioned, you sort of have a soft glow to this whole build, wouldn't want it to detract.....I heard 'subtle' is in this year....:bigsmile:

Just a thought.
I like the look of the full lamp housing. The bullet shape flows nicely. What about leaving it as is and find a small vintage flashlite with a domed glass lens to fit into the end? Something like this:
oldflashlight1200.jpg

On the other hand, without seeing it with the whole bike in the picture, it's hard to say if it would be out of scale and over power the rest of the bike.

Just a thought.
I like the look of the full lamp housing. The bullet shape flows nicely. What about leaving it as is and find a small vintage flashlite with a domed glass lens to fit into the end? Something like this:
oldflashlight1200.jpg

On the other hand, without seeing it with the whole bike in the picture, it's hard to say if it would be out of scale and over power the rest of the bike.

Hmmmmmm, when I test fitted the uncut lamp housing, I took this pic, but I felt the whole "bullet" was too big for the build. I'll have to pull it outside and get a better perspective without the shop clutter.

index.php

Last edited:
The light definitely went on with that new jewel headlamp idea! And I like the painted stripe, maybe a 'brick red' color? Like was mentioned, you sort of have a soft glow to this whole build, wouldn't want it to detract.....I heard 'subtle' is in this year....:bigsmile:

Not sure if "solt glow" or "subtle" are my style. :happy:
I'm looking for more of a "cool flow" and "vintage salt flats hot rod" vibe.
More to come. ;)

Maybe even something like Salt Flats meets Race of Gentlemen like this.

4th Annual The Race of Gentlemen (TROG) Sun Oct 11 2015 009 418-X2.jpg

Not sure if "solt glow" or "subtle" are my style. :happy:
I'm looking for more of a "cool flow" and "vintage salt flats hot rod" vibe.
More to come. ;)
If your going for "vintage salt flats hot rod", you probably don't need a headlight at all! @Bike Bum pointed that out earlier on the Bare Bonnieville. Those racers in your photo shaved everything possible to go faster. Do dads should be considered don't dads! :bigsmile:

If your going for "vintage salt flats hot rod", you probably don't need a headlight at all! @Bike Bum pointed that out earlier on the Bare Bonnieville. Those racers in your photo shaved everything possible to go faster. Do dads should be considered don't dads!

Just going for the influence and vibe of those cars and cycles, not replicating a real racer. Otherwise I would have boardtrack bars and such. Yeehaw to the Geegaw. :D
I'm not planning on breaking any speed records as I zip from fountain to fountain. :p

Last edited:
My first instinct on the bullet nose was right. I'm just not feeling it at all.
In fact I'm not feeling the scale that the horn light would take either. I think both options take away from the beauty of the jeweled light.

20160522_145138.jpg

agree think that bullet nose is overpowering for the sleekness of that frame in my humble opinion

Yeah, my first thought was, "Why in the world would I want one of the Magic Bullet food processors on the front of my bike?!!!" :eek:

Pulled the front wheel and tested my other experiment with good results.
I think the red rim accent plays well with the wheel and build.

20160522_151838.jpg
20160522_151901.jpg
20160522_151957.jpg

My first instinct on the bullet nose was right. I'm just not feeling it at all.
In fact I'm not feeling the scale that the horn light would take either. I think both options take away from the beauty of the jeweled light.

View attachment 24949

I like the shape...but not the size. The jeweled body with a more conventional bezel, might be okay.

I think the bullet would have to be integrated into a tank to work here, which would preclude the use of truss rods and would be a distraction on a bike with such nice lines.

Back