schnell-boardtrack cycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've decided to build a boardtrack style bike. i've planning on building one for so long that i
thought i should just start it otherwise i'll never get around to it.
i'm thinking of keeping it simple, as it should be.
i started with a base frame that a friend supplied. It's a regular road bike frame that's
made of chromoly. that should make it nice and light!
1.jpg

2.jpg

after a few hours of planning and cutting and welding...this is what it now looks like.
3.jpg

i kicked back the seat post, added the bend in the top bar,added the second bar[bottom],
extended the rear area and started with the extra bars on the forks.

Definitly!!!Everyone in my family knows who you are from me running my mouth :mrgreen: .I get more excited about your bikes than my own.

thanks for all the great comments...i didn't realise that anybody would even feel a tingle when looking
at the bikes i'm building! i'm a little shocked!
got a chance to continue with some work on the frame as i wanted to get it moving and not lose the drive!
sometimes things take too long and you get side tracked.
i added some rear frame gussets, for some strength and shape as it was looking a little thin around the rear
wheel.
6rearend.jpg

i also continued this, addimg a thin "fin" all the way to the crank area.

i'm going to try to keep this bike simple with clean lines and hopefully let the frame do the talking...
the frame had some really nice designs on it which i'm keeping and hoping they stand out.
4.jpg

5.jpg

here's a pic with the rear wheel in place, i tried to keep everything nice and tight, so everything
just fits on.
rearwheel.jpg

they are 26" wheels but i'm thinking of keeping the tires thin [if i can get them] 1 3/8" width in cream color.

here's a side pic of the bike mock-up, just to see how it all sits.
sideview.jpg

i'm keeping this one at normal-ish height so it's easy to ride around without worries about
scraping it everywhere.

g kustom kuhl said:
i'm keeping this one at normal-ish height so it's easy to ride around without worries about
scraping it everywhere
I was going to say this was a departure for you :) .Very cool how you saved the sweet features of the frame.Can't wait to see more. :mrgreen:

Gee thanks everyone...it's hard to leave it normal height. i just can't seem to help myself when building, that's
why i decided to modify a frame instead of building from scratch. otherwise it would've been scraping!

finally got a chance to do some more work on the bike, so i wanted to finish the forks.
added the extentions to make them look boardtrack.
forks.jpg

forksclose.jpg

here's a close up detail of the head tube...how nice does that look?
headstem.jpg

thanks everybody...
next i thought i'd get the seat going, i was going to use a brooks saddle but thought i might go
in another direction. i decided to make my own with some lightweight alloy. so i made a pattern
from the brooks seat i had and started cutting/beating and welding some sheets of alloy. after a
lot of time passed here is what i ended up with. i forgot to take pics whilst making the seat!!! so
i only have finished pics. sorry if anybody was interested!
seatpan1.jpg

it's basically made up of a few pieces [makes it a bit easier to form the shape], a top piece, 2 side
pieces and a rear piece. lots of weldind and grinding smooth, 'cause i thinking of getting it polished,
so it has that vintage raw race look to it!
seatpan3.jpg

i'm also thinking of cutting the shapes out that i marked, as a vintage type pattern...but i'm not too sure yet!
seatpan2.jpg

i still have to work out how i'm going to mount the seat as i want it to sit low and kicked back, just above the rear
tire.

Oh man , great work on the seat!! I thought that the marked shapes was a an idea for a pinstripe design when I saw it. :) Please don't forget workpics next time... :wink:

Great work on your seat, can't wait to see the finished product.

Back