Schrader Valve Core

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like half the time I have a flat tire, its because of a leaky valve stem. I replace the core with another one from salvaged cores, but it usually leaks too.

I suspect its the rubber or nylon seal that is part of the core.

Is that generally the culprit?

And, the cores I remove from old tubes are usually a long version. Today I replaced a long with a shorter one I had and it worked.

Are shorter better? How do you guys deal with leaky cores? Should I buy a box of new cores (long or short?) instead of relying on my salvaged ones?

I did a search: my description of short (original) and long (filtered).

cores.jpg

Thanks

new tubes don't have Schrader stems.
try soaking salvage cores in boiling hot water;this usually restores the plunger. i keep new cores on hand ;
i tend to lose them. :oops:

MagicRat said:
Buy a new tube and be done with it..
Spoken like a card-carrying member of the Disposable Society. And you want me to buy the import, that's less quality than the vintage one... it just needs a new part.

KJV said:
try soaking salvage cores in boiling hot water;this usually restores the plunger.
That's a great tip.

KJV said:
i keep new cores on hand
The shorter ones?

Thanks

When the tube does eventually let go, you can still buy new Schrader valve tubes. As much as I hate the thought, my pre-war Henderson needs new tubes and tires and I'll likely get them from Wally-world. Slime brand 5x thickness tubes and cheapy creepy tires. It's barn art still, but with tubes and tires I could almost ride it (needs a few new spokes).

Tubes are cheap, run $6-20, Schrader and Presta available. Several 'brands". You can buy just new valve cores too.

on riders ; i run, new tires/tubes.
if it is a display, rideable for short stroll.
the best survivors , from "the daY. :arrow:
even then , the tube neeeds..
to hold air. :mrgreen: :)

Back