Schwinn dates

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Who can tell me at what point in the factory build process the julian date was stamped on the Schwinn head badge. Now I am not talking about the frame serial number, but the four digit date code seen here.
ImageFetch.ashx

For those that don't know the first three digits correspond to the day of the year from 001 to 365 (366 on a leap year) and the last digit is the year. The one in the picture is 1240 so that equates to May 4th (124th day of the year) of 1980(?)

My question is if this date was stamped at the end of the assembly process or when the badge was actually made?

My '77 Suburbans' frame dates are both a month or so earlier than the badge dates.

Pic of the whole bike would help, could be 1970, 1980, or 1990 The components should tell the tale, if you pull the crank there should be a year mark on it.

i believe they started stamping the badges right about 1977. i've seen the badge and parts/frame with different dates too. i'd bet that the badges were in a stock pile and then slapped on the bikes as they were built. instant born on date.

Latest posts

Back