Schwinn DX post-war project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the late 40's Schwinn DX I picked up off of Craigslist for $100 about a month ago. For the price, I knew I had to make the 1-1/2 hr drive to pick it up.

It had been "cleaned up" by the owner, which basically meant a cheap black paint job over everything: frame, wheels, hubs, spokes, etc. When I got home and flipped the bike over I scuffed the back fender and saw blue underneath. The paint job was so cheap I could scrap it off with my thumbnail. The chain was in bad shape and stretched out pretty badly making it not sit on the skip-tooth crank cleanly which caused a lot of grinding and binding. After stripping the fenders, adding a more comfortable seat (the other was cool but too small...a child's seat), "schwinn approved" grips, a chain guard and used skiptooth chain off ebay it looked like this:

Of course now I was wondering if the frame had any original paint left as well and I had to do something about the front fork which was not original and not quite long enough. Turns out the bike was originally red but the original paint was gone, just some remnants left with a lot of gray primer or paint on top. After some treatment with a 4-1/2" angle grinder I got it down to the bare metal which looked way better.

The wheels were not original s2's either and were bent and egg shaped with the spokes being rusted, missing and bent. The tires are really cool though...not matching but from the late 40's as well: Cornell Clipper on the front and a Belnord Super Service on the back. I ordered some "80's reproduction S2's and stainless steel spokes" off ebay to use with the original New Departure hubs. I took apart the hubs, stripping paint, cleaning and lubing them back up and also added some more parts: a 50's original springer fork, and 9 hole rear rack (still trying to get a better spring seat off the bay). Here's what it looks like now. I was able to clean off more gray primer from the fenders using acetone but had to be careful not to wipe the white paint away.

Let me know what you guys think. I'm on the fence about "restoring" it with new paint....I tend to like the used and original paint look myself but obviously the paint colors on my parts don't all match.

Thanks, yeah I really have my doubts about a paint job. I definitely don't want to re-chrome a bunch of pieces...the patina and wear give it so much character. One thing I need to do is flip the springer yoke back around the way it should be for less rake because the angle of the spring right now is a little off.

Like I mentioned in my intro thread (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=76825&p=745758#p745758), this is my first vintage bike and I'm having a blast working on it and learning more about them. I haven't been able to ride it yet in it's current state because I got my hip replaced last week. 25 years and I haven't been able to ride a bike and pedal in the sitting position. My hip was fused straight so to pedal I had to stand up. So as you can imagine this bike is very special and exciting to me because I have doctors orders to ride a bike as part of rehab in a few weeks.

Glad to hear your finally going to be able to ride again. Your Schwinn looks great, I like the unpainted frame. If you don't like the color differences on the parts. I think it would look awesome if you removed the paint on the springer and the rack to match the frame.
Kenny

Thanks everyone...glad you like the bike. I worked on the springer and flipped the yoke to the normal position and it fits and looks better. While I had the headset off the bike, I decided to de-rust it by soaking it in phosphoric acid rust remover which worked great. I also cleaned up the rust on the handlebars under the headset. BUT I ran into a problem!

The rust was adding extra friction to keep the handlebars from slipping up and down. I couldn't tighten the bolt enough to clamp them solidly in place. I actually ended up stripping the bolt and eventually breaking the bolt (not the original by the looks) trying to make it tighter! I found there was already a shim made of metal strapping underneath but now by cleaning this area there isn't ENOUGH friction to hold it together. Any ideas on how to shim it further or address this issue?? Thanks

That bike is beautiful. Exactly the model & period I am currently seeking out (the exact reason I signed up here in fact). If you ever decide to sell it, please hit me up.

Yeah, not selling this one but thanks!....it rides nice and smooth...probably much better now but I'm not allowed to ride it for a few weeks while my hip strengthens up.I made a small shim out of a sheet of copper and a heavier bolt helped take up the slack.

The beer can trick wasn't working ....too thin I think.

I scored a new stem and seat from forum member Walker this past week. The original long stem vertical bolt head was shot on this bike...needed a vise grips to loosen or tighten it...plus this new stem has the original handlebar cinch bolt.

As far as the new seat goes it was Persons spring seat with crash rail that I planned on recovering with dark brown leather. I just recovered it along with a troxel today and they look nice. Here are some not so bright pics from this evening....more in the light tomorrow:

Persons seat before:

after:

For recovering, I used some dark brown scraps from Tandy's Leather Supply and carpet underlayment. Both seats had cotton batting underneath the original synthetic cover (left to right: carpet underlayment, new leather, original cotton)

I used Locktite spray adhesive for glue and just worked patiently to stretch the leather as much as possible to eliminate wrinkles. Here's how the other troxel seat turned out:

Nice day here for some pics of the bike as it now stands. The bike has some "new" pedals since the originals were pretty wore out. I also stripped the black paint of the chain guard which had a lot of rust damage that had been hidden by the paint. New stem from a 50 Panther and recovered Persons seat.

A repair weld was made at some point.

Your bike is looking great! The fork looks way better. Nice job on the seats, i've done a few also. Sometines you can find old leather jackets at 2nd hand stores too ( great for seats). Have fun with it! If you want to sell your old pedals hit me back.
Johnny

Oh yeah, I recently grabbed a seat off Walker. He must have a huge stash! Great RRB member, he answered my "wanted" post.
Johnny

Nightrider said:
Your bike is looking great! The fork looks way better. Nice job on the seats, i've done a few also. Sometines you can find old leather jackets at 2nd hand stores too ( great for seats). Have fun with it! If you want to sell your old pedals hit me back.
Johnny

Thanks Nightrider!

Well as far as the original pedals goes...they were really rusty so I dissembled them and soaked them in a phosphoric acid rust remover. The bearings and cups were in fine shape so I greased them up and put them all back together. BUT, when fitting them back on the bike, the left pedal was very loose. Upon closer inspection I found the female crank threads to be rather worn and stripped. Combine that with the layer of rust that must have been removed from the male threads of the left pedal and there was too much play to tighten it up fully. So, I'll take some pics of the pedals and PM you, but I'm worried that the left one may not tighten up for you fully!

Thats cool. Mostly need parts. But I also like crusty stuff. If you have no need for them, I would gladly trade or buy them from you LMT.
Johnny

Are you going to repaint it or let the frame turn rusty? You can get repop tanks for that bike on ebay. Around $125. Gary

still undecided about painting it. The way I see it I have three ways to go:

1. clear coating the raw frame, chain guard, fenders etc.
2. trying to age a blue paint job to match the patina of the fenders
3. all out full resto paint job with stencils (blue, black or maroon) with maybe an "aged" look? really don't want to rechrome everything

What would you guys do??

Back