Schwinn Hornet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:oops: Schwinn Hornet
This popped up on CL and called to me. I shot the guy an offer and rolled out of the house at 5:30 am to get there at 8 Sunday morning to pick her up. I met a super nice guy who is building a Rat Rod 53 GMC 5 window pick up.
We got to BS’ing and he gave me a cool old light. I stuck it on the front fender and realized this one will get a detailed cleaning and clear coat. She will be part of the family after that. The front tire is a Goodyear the rear is an import 1.9. The rims need trued and a couple of spokes. I have a new set of Taiwan 24 inch 12 ga spoke wheels with a cool rim drive along with the last set of Cream Fat franks that left the warehouse on close out. I may swap out the crank set and mount them up, until I get the rims trued up and find tires
IMG_1216.jpg

IMG_1231.jpg

IMG_1230.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

Looks like a prewar style locking fork to me. That's a 50's bike though, not a prewar. You've got a $250 tank mounted on a $150 bike. Straight bar tanks are sure scarce and yours looks to be in good condition. Nice find for sure. Gary

B607 said:
Looks like a prewar style locking fork to me. That's a 50's bike though, not a prewar. You've got a $250 tank mounted on a $150 bike. Straight bar tanks are sure scarce and yours looks to be in good condition. Nice find for sure. Gary
I am still learning on these bikes so it is a 50’s. I am going to be interested to see if that fork locks and really disappointed in myself if I missed that. I need to use the saws and cut some wood so I have it packed in shed and of course I put it in first. I will try to get a look at it. Is the Troxel seat correct to the bike?

CCR said:
is that a locking fork by chance ?
YES it is and I did not even notice it. :lol: Packed with dirt and grease once I get the bike back out, I will see if the key is broke off or not.

Back