Schwinn Probe Chicago

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drove past this three times, the first time I couldn't make up an excuse to buy it the second time I couldn't make up an excuse not to buy it, so the third time I stopped and gave the guy thirty bucks and welcomed it into the family.
Anybody know if this is a road bike turned MB or was it born this way? Any info would be appreciated
100_3154.jpg
100_3151.jpg

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure, looks like a road bike frame to me, but as you can tell form my incorrect abbreviation of mountain bike I am not an expert on the topic.

bike2112 said:
It's definately an early Schwinn Mtn Bike probably from the 80's. It's a model designed more for city/urban type riding right before the hybrid bike became it's own category. Definately a cool bike and good score.
Yeh, I think they called that a "comfort" bike. :lol:

Springman74 said:
That is indeed a three wheeled cart in the background. Its a Taylor Dunn Step Saver.
Fun project! Always wanted to motor up one of those!!!

It is a mountainbike. It looks exactly like mine before I modded it. I've also been told it's a city-bike. So like previously said, it's like a early hybrid. Mine ended up with parts off my Mongoose XR 250. Man I love that bike. They came out in 89 and had three different frame sizes, ours were the biggest. They had iirc Shimano parts on them and may have had Diacompe brakes. I forget. Roadbike cranks, especially older schwinn ones fit with no problems. I have a LeTour Crank on mine and didn't need to change a thing. Those things on the inside of the fork will hold the wheel on, if you loose the nuts. Thats all that comes to mind.

I forgot to tell you, the plastic coated crank arms are known to break near the pedal mount-which mine did. So if you want to ride it with no problems swap the crank out. I never had any other problems with mine but the stock crank arms. That was the other reason I changed mine. I was about 2 miles from home and had to walk it.

Thanks for the info. I have put a lot of miles on that bike in the past few weeks, and I love it I am so glad I talked myself into buying it. Now I need to talk myself into chroming the frame and I will love it even more.

Latest posts

Back