schwinn stingray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
hey im lookin 2 build a trike out of a couple newer stingray choppers.. any1 have any pics of how they built the rear end ..i need some ideas . also i need 2 figure out a way internaly 2 renforce the frame like with slugs or something...im 6'6 about 500 lbs ...maybee i should use new steel tubing 2 buile a frame ?

do a Google image search for Scwhinn Stingray Chopper and you'll probably find what you're looking for.

i recently picked one up, but i don't have any photos available. the rear-end on those things is ridiculously sturdy, though.

Hey Mikes-

I recently hauled home this pile of ju.... ummm good stuff and it had 2 Stingrays in there.

On the left you can see the structure of this frame, you're looking at it from underneath. It's plenty beefy as it comes from the factory. I think a real nice rugged trike could be built out of 2 of these.

073109graveyard.jpg

Hope this helps. The frames are regular steel (usually chromed) and can be welded, ground etc as with most any bike project. Watch for bad rust in the factory welds if the frames have been outside. As a big guy, you're going to want to look closer than usual at the OEM weld joints on these Chinese frames. The OCC Stingray was a cool looking bike but still a cheap bike.

I've also seen a lot of badly rusted spokes on these- replace yours if they look sketchy. A few of ours just snapped right off.

There are some other things you can do with them too but I don't want to give away anybody's secrets...
bikenl072009.jpg

--Rob

NLCTVWguy said:
Hope this helps. The frames are regular steel (usually chromed) and can be welded, ground etc as with most any bike project. Watch for bad rust in the factory welds if the frames have been outside. As a big guy, you're going to want to look closer than usual at the OEM weld joints on these Chinese frames. The OCC Stingray was a cool looking bike but still a cheap bike.

I've also seen a lot of badly rusted spokes on these- replace yours if they look sketchy. A few of ours just snapped right off.

There are some other things you can do with them too but I don't want to give away anybody's secrets...
--Rob

Couldn't agree more. Look for rust around the kickstand, and all around the welds and joints. I stripped and painted mine, it was a huge chore... but the bike was so badly rusted, it had to be done. Here's a few shots to give you an idea how the rear is made. It has rearward-facing horizontal dropouts. The dropout spacing is 170mm, and most rear hubs are 120 or 135mm, so beware, you'll probably have to bend the rear stays together a bit to make a regular hub fit. I bent mine down to about 145mm, and used grade 8 washers to make up the last 10mm.

stingray-002.jpg

Good shot of the bare frame: (after I cut off the fender mount, kickstand, chainguard mounts, and brake posts)
stingray-014.jpg

Shot of the rear end:
stingray-046.jpg

102_1548.JPG

Oh, also thought of this after I posted:

If you're 500 pounds, I think the frame will hold up. The seatpost, however, might not. I replaced the seat on mine with a reducer and a 1" seatpost, and I'm only 200 pounds and I bent it, riding gently. You'll need to either keep the seat down low, or get a really strong 31.8mm seatpost if you want to replace the seat with a wide cruiser saddle.

the one i got last week wasn't the chromed frame, but there was rust aplenty, though not on the rear of the bike.

that's really cool what you did with yours, Stickman. it's hard to believe, though, that you averaged as fast on your ride on that heavy thing as you did on your mountain bike!

Latest posts

Back