Schwinn Twin Bar Townie

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Ok, that' the best name i could come up with on a whim. Pretty much finished it off last night. just need to install the left side bb cup and the other crank arm can go on (seem to have lost that part). and replace the seat which the nose broke off of when i tried to sit on it. Watch out for that vintage leather!

Started with this late 80's Schwinn High Sierra MTB. Hadn't really planned on doing anything with it so I sold off the good stuff on e-bay, luckily i held on to the wheels as they were nice aluminum high flange hubs (cartridge bearings) on aluminum rims that were true.
DSCN0842.jpg

And here we are: welded in a second top tube donated by an elgin ladies bike. ground off all unnecessary guides and bosses, welded on new cable bosses and relocated the brake to below the chain stays for a cleaner look.
DSCN0400.jpg

Up front we have a Wald chrome cruiser fork and Ritchey Logic headset, vintage schwinn chrome stem, Soma Noah's ark bar and orange grips (thanks Atomic).
DSCN0401.jpg

Putting the pedal to the pavement it accomplished with color match painted mtb pedals, the original LX cranks and a 48t sprocket (XT cartridge bottom bracket), KMC chrome chain to a chrome freewheel and Surly tensioner.
DSCN0402.jpg

DSCN0403.jpg

Pretty cool.
Are you getting any flex in that "trailing mount" rear brake???

Stubecontinued said:
cool bike, but with the semi horizontal dropouts couldn't you run it without a tensioner?
Maybe it's to clear the brake. :?

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. While grinding off unnecessary parts i was torn as to keeping the rear gears so i left the hanger. There is enough adjustment in the brake pads to remove the tensioner, it does allow for changing out the front chainring without messing with the chain though. Haven't put the brake to the driveway test (steep) yet due to seat failure. Maybe over the weekend as I'm headed to York Beach Maine with the Los Guapos! I'm bringing this bike, my Felt and Goldmember.

Very ....... idea!I have one of these just sittin in my backyard.Might just get the 3rd bar treatment.I still have those crazy OG brakes it came with and maybe polish em out and leave em in plain sight.

Back