Schwinn typhoon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schwinn typhoon - just picked it up - mens frame - double straight bars - serial number is F22469..... Any help as to year ? Guy claimed it to be a rare 1952 - double bar frame - bought at a barn auction , fresh from the farm - condition is very poor but a solid frame

Last edited:
image_zps847a3316.jpg

The seat is a messenger - no rear wheel - was found in a barn auction , was buried up to mid wheel in mud for years - the rear wheel fell apart trying to get it outta the mud - bike is very heavy - can barely make out the words schwinn typhoon on Chain guard - grips say schwinn approved

thanks - so he had the year right , nice

now as to the double straight bar thing ? anything to that ? the ones im seeing on yahoo photos are all single curved bars ??? or single straight bars ..........

Last edited:
52 - 62 , how can you tell , if i may ask ?

thanks so much for the helpful information - any collectibility here or build him as a rider ?

62 was the first year for typhoons, that frame style showed up in the middle of 61 though.

Those guards weren't around in 52 and the badges were bigger in 52 as well.

That's a 1962 bike

CCR pretty much covered it.

As you noticed, that frame style doesn't appear in the early 50s bikes. It's an early 60s style, and that frame was made very briefly, usually with a Typhoon label;, sometimes as a Skipper; I've seen some '61 Flying Stars online with that frame, but never in-person.

62 was the first year for typhoons, that frame style showed up in the middle of 61 though.

Those guards weren't around in 52 and the badges were bigger in 52 as well.

That's a 1962 bike
thank you so much for your help ..... i do truly appreciate it - any poke at which direction i should go with him now ?

yea i always mess up some little detail , LOL
( line from the movie office space )

Michael Bolton:
Ok! Ok! I must have, I must have put a decimal point in the wrong place
or something. S.... I always do that. I always mess up some mundane
detail.

I'm really jealous of your bike. I always wanted one of those frames.

Back