SCORE! New Pic 6/2/12

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

year i aint sure. id say 40s. but trusport is columbia

I located the serial number under gobs of paint.

B 16571 would indicate that this bike is a 1937 COLUMBIA.

Also, the headlight has a hole in the top of it. Any idea what might have been mounted there? It is not for the switch. I think whatever it was, it was removed to allow clearance for the basket (my first picture).

8491107_orig.jpg

This is also a plea for a matching handle grip. As you can see, one of them has seen better days.

5661731_orig.jpg

To answer the bent fork question, I sit the bike upsidedown on it's handlebars and seat so I can eyeball the forks from above. One of the fork tangs is probably bent slightly, causing the crooked angle. Which one is the question, usually the section of the fork leg closest to the crown (before the curve forward near the dropouts) lines up in a straight line with the head tube of the frame. One of the legs is bent forward or backward. I'd pull the front wheel and do an adjustment. Usually you can do it by hand, unless it's a really heavy fork, then you'll need leverage. Just adjust it little by little so you don't go past the correct angle. The less you have to bend, the better.

Very nice job! I like the double pin stripes on the fenders. Did you ever find out what went in the hole in the light? Gary

Thanks guys! Everything is powder coated a blue that is very close to the original color. I spray painted the fork tube white, and the white "darts" are the same type adhesive vinyl used on truck lettering and applied by me. The pinstripes were "discovered" by my powder coater Paul during sandblasting, and were measured and reproduced as close to original as possible. My friend Molly has a sign shop and a steadier hand than me...she applied the new stripes. My friend Wayne recovered the original seat frame with a new piece of leather, he's done work on my Rollfast too. The hole in the headlight is off-center and not "factory"...who knows what the original owner mounted on it! The handlebars, goose neck, chain guard and rims were originally chrome. I couldn't afford to have them re-chromed, so in 75 years the next owner can do it. The sweetheart sprocket and bell were cleaned and remounted...nothing more. The handlebar grips, spokes, seat leather, and Bottom Bracket ball bearings are the only NEW items...everything else is original!!!

Back