Scored a 40's Hawthorne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked this up today, not sure if it's prewar or early postwar. The man I bought it from was the original owner, his dad got it for him and his brother some 60 years ago. The bike is covered in a thin layer of house paint, hopefully I can get it off without harming the original decals or pinstiping. The seat has been recovered with vinyl, I think that's about the only thing not original.

bikes016-7.jpg

bikes017-6.jpg

Awesome! If it has the blue and red 'M/W' badge, I believe that's 48-52. Haven't unpacked all my bike books yet to know for sure. ~Adam

Yep, that's what badge it has. I'm curious and scared to start removing the paint, anyone have any "safe removal" recomendations?

It is now for sale, piece by piece. If you have any interest in anything let me know. It's taking me about 4 to 6 hours to safely remove the house paint on each part. The tank and chainguard are finished, everything else will soon be in the classifieds.

Back