scwhinn layback posts???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys my bike has the original scwhinn seatpost on it which is dramatically thin compared to the 22.2 mil bmx ones im used to,
therefore i dont have any sources for a layback style one

do you guys know where i could get one???
cheers
David.

sorry no there is not a "schwinn" size lay back post avalible which leaves you with two options. bend a stock post back or cut one in half and weld the other part on at a right angle so it is L shaped.

cheers for the reply,
i figure if i bent it it would be severley weakened
i was reading about using the mountain bike bar extensions as additions to make a layback
but the schwinn post is so thin im not sure whether one of thse would fasten properly
thoughts?

when i say bend it i mean heat it as you bend it. then let it cool slowly and it will be somewhat strong. the ideal method would be to add a brace but i asume you want to keep the seat slamed like i like to on my bikes as well.

Actually there are 2 old bmx frames that used 13/16 seatposts and lay back styles are available, I screwed up bidding on one on ebay several months ago and I could have got it pretty cheap.

Some of the old PK Ripper and Race Inc frames had 13/16 seatpost, and I have seen laybacks and they are RARE but they are out there.

heres one http://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-Schwinn-Whizzer ... dZViewItem
also if youre going to try bending your own with a torch cap it by welding a piece of steel over the bottom, fill with sand, cap the top the same way, heat cherry red with a rose bud tip, place in jig and bend, let it completely cool before moving it (or wear gloves) done it before and works well. just beware with out the sand the tubing will deform and collapse

so would a standard scwhin seat fit on this as the end seems much thinker!
could i just replace the guts to fit it?

also is it designed for a banana seat?
cheers
dave

Back