Set back seat..How to do it?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dropped my seat down as far as I can, because I like the look and I'm short. But now I'm too close to the pedals. I've seen some bikes with (what I call) a set back seat. The seat rod is in a L shape rather than straight up and down. What is the best way to achieve this?
Thanks.
Donzie

Well, don't take my word, but I can think of 3 ways to achieve this. But all require some frame editing.

You can remove and re-weld your pedals where you want them to be. This will require you to change the chain.

Or... you could weld an extra tube for your seat to go in by welding an extra tube further back.

As an alternative, if you don't want to alter your frame's look, you can use a pipe bender to reshape your seats tube in the right way.
Imagine an "S" flipped 90degrees(CW or CCW). The one end on the right (facing down) will get into the seat socket while the one on the left (facing up) will be where the seat is.

Keep in mind that that's just me. There might be a way easier way!

I had wondered about bending the seat post, wasn't sure if that was possible.

measure the OD of your current seat post. Usually either 7/8 - 13/16 - 1 - or 1 1/8 depending on the bike frame.

search the various bicycle parts web sites for "lay back seat post" for the size you need.

or you can make your own lay back seat post.

they are usually not all that expensive.

Back