Shields fullsize Trike rebuild

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ! ,
iam new to this forum, but not to the custom bike world .
iam in the process of rebuilding a old "Shields" fullsize trike .
the axel was cracked and missing a mounting bracket , it was Mad dirty and rusty , but wheels and gears were straight and working fine.
took a chance and bought it for 35$ saing to my self ""if it dont work , ill have spare parts that worth 35$+ at least""
but i manage to clean the chrome to a shine and fix the rear axle , now evry thing is straight and look solid , frame is being stipped down to metal for repaint..
sorry for bad images , i was raining so i took them in the shed :roll:
DSCN4650.jpg

DSCN4651.jpg

the wheels spokes are fine , but i will have to paint the rim cause of ugly black rust stain
btw.. Love the Huge seat :) so comfy have to change the stinky foam tho
DSCN4652.jpg

this was the damage :shock:
DSCN4639.jpg

DSCN4643.jpg

and this is what i plan to make it look like
real_time_Trikerebuildproject3.jpg

real_time_Trikerebuildproject2.jpg

real_time_Trikerebuildproject1.jpg

i choose to make it look older than it really by this choice of paint-job , adding a nice wood floor pick-up bed , fabricating some chrome bars to create a oldschool fork and adding rero style lights .. how old is it ? idk ... you know ?...
Now i need some advice on ----"where or out of what" could i find some kind of chrome cones to make some head lights like on my 3d images :?:
and do you know ----------------what brand , make Baloon tires 24" "totaly slick" or close to , like literaly looking like a "tube":?: cant find :cry:
Thanks!

thanks guys!
Google sketchup and Renditionner express v2 demo ..its free relatively ease and quick , there is also tones of tutorial on how to use it and a "google 3d warehouse" were you can download some of others models
any infos on a good brand for "hotrod style" 24" baloon slicks ?

i found out that the trike axle and parts are form 1977-78 from "Sun Tour" but still could not find any trace of "shields"frames on the internet .
other than that , here is the original shifter i modded into a "old style automatic shifter" and i am o my way to try to find a grayish mint color in rattle can , i hope i will find some somewhere
DSCN4656.jpg

DSCN4654.jpg

DSCN4653.jpg

painted!!! :mrgreen: but now the curing time before assembly will be painful :cry:
DSCN4663.jpg

yes its the same color ... in the sun 8)
DSCN4664.jpg

DSCN4666.jpg

redrkt said:
I could be wrong, but, that frame looks a lot like a Schwinn Meridian Trike frame to me.
No,the meridian has a second bar over the crank and from seatpost-back looks like a converted bike go,to my profile and check.

Im about to start a pickup bed for my trike too!!

actually the closest thing i found is the (1978 BeeKay tricycle) , its the Exact same frame /axle and parts , except mine "Shields" don't have that double reinforcement tube at the bottom and is a 10speed instead of 3
BeeKay_Trike_Axle_4.jpg

BeeKay_Trike_Full_Side_1.jpg

BeeKay_Trike_Full_Side_L_1.jpg

BeeKay_Trike_Full_TQR_2.jpg

i love that idea of using tension cables to reinforce the rear axle like this one have , ill do the same on mine with 4 cables :mrgreen:

indeed , yours looks like a racing trike witch is an appropriate riding position for pulling those heavy 3 wheelers , but i like to sacrifice my legs for the laid back style :wink:

Hehe your absolutely right you need the leverage! It looks like like a velodrome bike made love to a columbia trike,and is soon going to be part pickup on it's mothers side :lol: :lol: :lol:

hehe :) since yours look like a good road bike , you should keep that little rack you have there and make your pick up box removable for when you don't need to carry anything , just a thought :wink:

I get mixed comments from lycra riders :? If it was removable it would be my luck that when i find nice junk i dont have it, yesterday i brought home a nice tube tv with it :D I might start a true rat rod project soon!

agree it happen often that i see nice stuff but can't pick it up cause i got to go somewhere ..its frustrating maybe a removable box is no a great idea finally :?

guess what ?! its done :mrgreen: ...well ...its rolling and tuned up , but still have allot to do
to do list: white leather seat cover /pickup box / New tires /new brake pads /and change a rear axle bearing that make it sound like a junk
DSCN4670.jpg

DSCN4669.jpg

DSCN4668.jpg

nothing extraordinary ..Fixed and painted with added details
i reggret the paint choice a little , i know it could of been nicer :roll:

If you redo the paint i'd suggest something similar to electra's "khaki satin" i'd lose the faux branding,no offense "ultratrike"sounds kinda cheesy.

I should change my tires soon and the brake levers shot on mine im jealous of your shifter!! :D

3 wheeled wolfy said:
If you redo the paint i'd suggest something similar to electra's "khaki satin" i'd lose the faux branding,no offense "ultratrike"sounds kinda cheesy.

I should change my tires soon and the brake levers shot on mine im jealous of your shifter!! :D
"UTILITRIKE" nah its done its done , to much work to start over again , its not "that bad" or is it ?
Yeah the shifter add a nice little touch and is working great !
just realized the bearing to change it on the driving wheel side and i could not remove the axle completely :( dont know what to do now except saving to buy all new rear axle and part and cut the old one out... iam so mad , that noise is loud !! "at slow speed" so for now i try to roll fast :roll:

not much , i mostly ride my 40's..ish Centrix , but the better looking/rolling/reliable the trike is gona get , the more iam gona ride it

Fixed the bearing :) i filled the axle tube with oil by a small hole and spin the wheel a wile, the noise is gone and it will be lubricated for a looooong while :)
plus , the oil leek a tiny amout through the bearing on the gear side so it lubricate my gears and chain at the same time (auto lube) haha!

also changed gear ratio so i can go faster ...any significant hill is impossible to climb with that anyways

silent and fast now ..Love it :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back