Shimano 3ccc

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a trike with a Shimano 3ccc 3sd coaster brake. Seems OK... but how you you shift it? All my searches explain fixes but not how to operate. Thanks

Step One-
Run to Local Military Supply
Step Two-
Purchase Plastic Explosives (C4)
Step Three-
Strap Onto Hub
Step Four-
Step Back...Very far
Step Five-
Ignite Explosive, Enjoy Fire works

Did it shift it?
Probably not...but it looked cool

The left side of the axle has a hole in the end of it. There should be a 4" rod inside that hole behind a fulcrum that is threaded onto the end outside the axle nut. The shift cable threads onto the end of that fulcrum. Better post a pic if you aren't sure of what I am talking about.

TheFlyingDingo said:
Step One-
Run to Local Military Supply
Step Two-
Purchase Plastic Explosives (C4)
Step Three-
Strap Onto Hub
Step Four-
Step Back...Very far
Step Five-
Ignite Explosive, Enjoy Fire works

Did it shift it?
Probably not...but it looked cool

Lol I'm going to have to try this method on a junk huffy someday.

This shows where the shifter attaches to the axle. The shifter and everything should be the same on older bikes with a shimano 3 speed.

973z91.jpg

JLarkin said:
The left side of the axle has a hole in the end of it. There should be a 4" rod inside that hole behind a fulcrum that is threaded onto the end outside the axle nut. The shift cable threads onto the end of that fulcrum. Better post a pic if you aren't sure of what I am talking about.

Not there. Mines look'n different than Wildcat's
Left side:
3cccleft.jpg

3cccdetail.jpg

Right side:
3cccright.jpg

Proof:
3cccproof.jpg

Should I assume this 3 speed is a 1 speed?

That looks like JB Weld in the end of that. Drill through a little and see what happens.

JLarkin said:
That looks like JB Weld in the end of that. Drill through a little and see what happens.
Holy crap!, right you are!! thanks JLarkin.

Next question, anybody got the linkage to sell?

Yes that looks like the shifter. Now you need the cable and thumbshifter, or twistgrip shifter. The pin also is needed, I've tried different things, like spokes to replace the pin, but nothing ever worked right.

I bought my wheel with no shifter parts either, and the standard shimano 3 speed shifter and rod work fine.

b88l93.jpg

maddogrider & Wildcat, I see you've been down this road before... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14165

Wildcat... "Pin" you say, that would be number...

shimdg1.jpg

shimdg2.jpg

So 1) bell, 2) rod, 3) pin and I'll adapt a cable and shifter per the other link.

I appreciate all the help.

#46 looks like the pin and the location.

If you could find an old 3 speed bike, with shimano hub, you would have everything you need. They used to be abundant and a dime a dozen at yard sales and thrift stores.

One other thing, since there is no lube port, I added a liberal amount of 30 weight motor oil right in the hole where the pin goes and let it work in thorugh the hub. I also added it to the bearings along the dustcaps on each side without loosening up the hub. I tilted the wheel to help the oil get in the bearings. That helped the hub, it spins better and shifts better.

Wildcat said:
#46 looks like the pin and the location.

If you could find an old 3 speed bike, with shimano hub, you would have everything you need. They used to be abundant and a dime a dozen at yard sales and thrift stores.
Exactly! I already have a couple of those! Good tip on the oil, I'd definitely prefer that than taking one apart! :mrgreen: -Adam

Back