ORBO Shiny Silver Single Speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Shiny Silver Single Speed.

Frame as acquired:

Comp77 2.jpg

First step towards shiny-ville!

Comp77 5.jpg

The name sort-of comes from this, which I had playing during the stripping process. Fun music keeps me moving in the workshop!

Interstella 5555: 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem
(An animated movie collaboration with Daft Punk that goes with their Discovery album)

Shiny Silver Single Speed.

Frame as acquired:

View attachment 255771

First step towards shiny-ville!

View attachment 255772

The name sort-of comes from this, which I had playing during the stripping process. Fun music keeps me moving in the workshop!

Interstella 5555: 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem
(An animated movie collaboration with Daft Punk that goes with their Discovery album)

Off to a good start, and killer inspiration for the build name! I've seen bits and pieces of that movie in the form of Daft Punk music videos, but never the full thing! I'll have to check that out, especially since I love the whole Discovery album. Keep up the good work!

You could always use a Chrome rattle can paint on it, maybe just where the lugs would be, taped off to look like a lugged frame? Ala early '90s Raliegh Technium frames where they used an adhesion process to hold carbon tubes into aluminum lugs and rear triangles.

Screenshot_20240116_071604_Google.jpg

How's that tree hanging frame coming?

How's that tree hanging frame coming?
Slooooow. Kinda stalled deciding if I am really going to try and remove the bondo, or instead shine up what I can and think up a cool paint job for the rest.

I'm not much of a painter, but it's just the area around the seat cluster and the head tube, so maybe I can come up with something cool. Other option is find a different frame.

Alright, previous frame officially shelved for the future, something with paint.

Scored this Avalanche for $40! Should work wonderfully. I've been saving other parts but didn't think they warranted a thread update.
IMG_20240220_185028978~2.jpg

Avalanche head tube is 160mm. The steerer tube on the fork I have (basically what this whole idea is built around) is... drumroll... 203mm.
IMG_20240219_214046893~2.jpg

Yowza! Not a lot of real estate for headset + stem. But I have ideas..

Well, it'll certainly be easier to get that Avalanche shiny! Good looking bike, it is already wearing some nice parts, I spy an XT rear derailleur, LX elsewhere. Excellent purchase for $40

I know you're supposed to build and update over the course of time, but things got away from me. So here I am at the 11th hour, all parts finally arrived*, ready for final assembly.

IMG_20240330_090106465~2.jpg

IMG_20240330_090141379~2.jpg

*actually still missing a stem, which should arrive today. I have an uglier one I could use. but would much prefer the eBayed thing if it shows up in time.

The whole build could have been done earlier with boring black/silver parts, but once I found the blue anno headset in the stash....

I know you're supposed to build and update over the course of time, but things got away from me. So here I am at the 11th hour, all parts finally arrived*, ready for final assembly.

View attachment 261491

View attachment 261492

*actually still missing a stem, which should arrive today. I have an uglier one I could use. but would much prefer the eBayed thing if it shows up in time.

The whole build could have been done earlier with boring black/silver parts, but once I found the blue anno headset in the stash....
Tick tock

Gaaaahh! I posted a new thread in "Finished Builds", at ~9:45 my time, with 15 minutes before deadline(roughly a half hour ago from this posts tome). Four pics uploaded. Where did it go???

When I go to look at the Finished Builds forum there's a small message "You have insufficient permission to post here"!!!

Does that mean my ORBO entry was rejected?
I'm on mobile its kind of clunky I'll see if I can find an admin to help.

Back