Shotgun bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needed to do something new for OBC this year. Last two years I rode motorized bikes, but absolutely wanted to do more pedaling this year.
Considering how insane and creative most of the bikes are I wanted to do something out of the norm. I usually tend towards bikes and motorcycles that fall into the 1900-1920s board track styling, but wanted to step further outside of that. After a little brain storming (and a couple of other ideas that I will need to make other bikes out of) I settled on using a Mossberg 500 as the mid bar on a build. Why a Mossberg? Well, because I didn't want to cut up and weld a perfectly good Remington 870 :) Considering I am in Las Vegas, it isn't as much of an issue to have a shotgun mounted as it is (open carry law), but as I do ride in other states (and often California), I had to work within the letter of the law and make it "not a gun". Firing pin was shortened and firing pin hole was welded shut. Still racks and ejects shells and I loaded up 1000 12g clear high brass shells and put a logo and info in it as a "card". So the mid tube ended up storing 5 plus 1 of the cards to hand out to anyone that asked. The overall color compared to some of the amazing builds at the show allowed me to be a little more stealth on rides. Rolling up in a pack while on the rides and racking things turned more than a couple of heads (some in a little bit of a panic). Not normally a "good" sound to hear while out and about.
I have wanted to do a poly v/serpentine belt as a drive for quite some time. I had initial designed and built two different tensioners for the belt, but felt it looked a little cleaner without. Luckily everything fit and the belt tensioned good enough to only slip if I stood up to pedal, then it initially slipped about an 1/8 turn before hooking up. For all the flat riding we did through the 4 days worth of rides, it was ultra smooth and didn't slip at all.

Overall I am really happy with how it turned out and will definitely be doing more builds with serpentines (making parts for a timing belt drive right now). Anyone interested in the details of doing a serpentine drive, let me know and I will be more than happy to send info.

SG01.jpg
SG02.jpg
SG03.jpg
SG04.jpg
SG05.jpg

I saw @Bigcam59 's OBC video that showed that in action. VERY COOL!

That bike would be a good way to get your self killed around these parts.;
If you where to rack it around here,,,
You would be leaving in a bag, along with the cycle. People around here take their firearms very seriously. What a waste of a shotgun.you,d most likely take a good beating before you had a chance to get it off the truck. Also,open carry law doesn't include racking the chamber.. post pics of yourself, after you get ,beat to a pulp.
Brother , that seems abit harsh. I don't exactly agree with destroying a good shotgun....but to each his own. No worries about the gun actually firing with the barrel welded into the frame. My old rat rod truck has a rusty pistol welded to some square stock and inserted into the hitch receiver as a cover. I have had lots of comments......never an offer to whip my ... over it though.

00437.JPG

That bike would be a good way to get your self killed around these parts.;
If you where to rack it around here,,,
You would be leaving in a bag, along with the cycle. People around here take their firearms very seriously. What a waste of a shotgun.you,d most likely take a good beating before you had a chance to get it off the truck. Also,open carry law doesn't include racking the chamber.. post pics of yourself, after you get ,beat to a pulp.
Wow what's up with this I think the bike is wicked cool I don't think any of the members are on here to diss other members work or send hostile messages I think your on the wrong forum if your gonna say stuff like that

Awesome bike, I love the belt drive and the look of the shotgun frame!!! I am interested in any info you have on the belt drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually I'm into firearms quite a bit and hearing a shotgun action from a bicycle wouldn't make me pull a gun at all you need to access a threat before pulling a weapon and any trained official would be aware of they're surrounding area

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had a few people asking about some close up shots of parts.
The head tube is machined and uses tapered roller bearings and a seal. I picked the seal size as I just need to machine it .030 over and it will take a 1-1/8 threadless bearing set too.
Kickstand is integrated into the frame. I wanted it to be clean and out of the frame "line" when it is tucked back.
Using a freehub rear I machined the pulley to slip over the splines and the single speed adapters to mate it all together.
The bars are 1.250" at the stem and are machined with a taper down to 7/8".
SG001.jpg
SG002.jpg
SG003.jpg
SG004.jpg
SG005.jpg

KJV, I don't bruise easy, so pics might not do things justice. I will simply have to get video for you when I inevitably get beat up either unloading my bike from my truck, or simply for pedaling it. I had better not post the video of me spinning the whole gun/bike around my trigger finger before holstering it either... world wide chaos might ensue.
Sarcasm aside, as with anything in life it is up to me as to when, how, and why I will do what I do. Racking the gun in a crowd of fellow bike riders at OBC gave some a start and others came running to see what I just did. Safe environment of like minded people = not an issue. Now I doubt riding by the Slauson Swap Meet/Super Mall in Compton on a busy weekend and racking it would yield the same results.

Big Ape, Love to see more pictures of the truck. On the hunt for a 48-54 for my wife.

Tacklebox, Ill get a full pic tomorrow when I get in to work.

Thatguy, Ill get some more pics and info for the belt drive. As with most belt drive setups you need a break in the frame somewhere to get the belt through. This frame and setup didn't need it. I would definitely recommend having adjustment in the rear drop out and a solid tensioner on the axle to keep things tight. I wanted to minimize any tabs in the rear stays so I machined bits and mounted the axle directly through the stays. 12mm through axle that is all the way in the stays to put the whole axle in shear and 5/16-24 x 3/8 button heads to hold it in place. Tapped the axle only 1/2" deep with a bottom tap so that at least half of the axle in the stay was solid.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone!

First I pictured Rooster Cogburn spin cocking his rifle in the saddle, then I remembered this.

I tried to make it to OBC this year, but unfortunately i could not. That being the case I experienced OBC living vicariously through instagram. Somebody posted pics of your bike and my first thought was that is so cool, not that somebody's gonna get hurt. Nice build and very innovative.

Great build, love the shotgun, seat and belt drive...very creative. Hmmm, needs a sword for a shifter:)

No not a sword!!!!! If he went rolling in my hood with a sword shifter, the killer rabbit would throw down on him for sure.
RUN AWAY RUN AWAY!!
tumblr_m27umd8MYj1qznvi3o1_500.gif

Back