SHOULD IT BE ALLOWED?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should this bike be allowed in the build off?

• YES

Votes: 45 100.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Should Doug be allowed to enter the "Y" bike in the build off?

Technically he has not welded the original frame and is basically using it as a whole. He is adding on the rear section for the drop outs and also a piece of another bike for the BB.

We'll see what yall think about this.

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewto ... 00&start=0

I know I am not doing this buildoff, but if he hasn't cut or welded the frame and all the suspension or other parts can be bolted on than I say yes. From an outsiders point of view. :|

fattroy said:
I know I am not doing this buildoff, but if he hasn't cut or welded the frame and all the suspension or other parts can be bolted on than I say yes. From an outsiders point of view. :|

I am doing this to have fun :)

Doug

While I'm not participating in the build-off, I don't see a problem with this bike. Doug is definately thinking outside the traditional box, but ultimately what he is doing is just swapping, mixing and matching parts in a creative way.

The build-off is about creativity and FUN! Right?

-Mp

RecumbentCountry said:
fattroy said:

I am doing this to have fun :)

Doug

I know and thats cool RC.

[Further deep thoughts]:

While pedalling into work today, I was actually thinking about the build-off (no, really I was!) and what crossed my mind was the idea that even without chopping a frame, there is a lot of really different stuff you could work with. Things like tandems, fixies, recumbents, moto-x'ers with shocks, tricycles (hmmmmm, a tricycle, hmmmmm) for example. Not to mention all the exotic chopper and cruiser frames one could easily get via the web

[Further deep thoughts/off]

-Mp

I think as long as we all play by the same set of rules and have FUN, think let the games begin. Sounds like there will be no welding so good luck. Ultimately it is up to the voters to determine the winner.

Bring it!

Absolutely,To say no would be to stifle his creativity. There is nothing being done here that violates the rules as I see it. "bolt-ons" are not unlike adding accesories, and I don't beleive that adding a " horn" a "light" or even a "horn-tank" to a frame would be a disqualification factor. Just my opinion. Later & PEACE!!!!! :wink:

comes off with a wrench .. sounds like a bolt on part to me!

cant wait to see how far it goes and how it comes out makes me want to reconsider the frame i will be usen ......

good luck!

Re: Bring it!

Slick Rick said:
Absolutely,To say no would be to stifle his creativity. There is nothing being done here that violates the rules as I see it. "bolt-ons" are not unlike adding accesories, and I don't beleive that adding a " horn" a "light" or even a "horn-tank" to a frame would be a disqualification factor. Just my opinion. Later & PEACE!!!!! :wink:

or puttin your bars on upside down ....

i know i really new here but..... there has to be some hard rules....
sure its a cool looking rat ...and it is super ratty but the rules said "no frame mods"....if this is alowed then i wanna build a totally different bike...we may as well all build kustoms....
as far as the bolt on thing goes...the rules actually say that u can weild stuff on...but to a standard frame....

just my thoughts but i really think this is a bad decision...nothing against the builder or the idea...i think its cool as...its just not in the rules...

if this is allowed then i think the rules need to be changed????

brett

kingpin said:
i know i really new here but..... there has to be some hard rules....
sure its a cool looking rat ...and it is super ratty but the rules said "no frame mods"....if this is alowed then i wanna build a totally different bike...we may as well all build kustoms....
as far as the bolt on thing goes...the rules actually say that u can weild stuff on...but to a standard frame....

just my thoughts but i really think this is a bad decision...nothing against the builder or the idea...i think its cool as...its just not in the rules...

if this is allowed then i think the rules need to be changed????

brett

Hi Brett

I see where you are coming from and do you think that if I put the blue swing arm in its normal location then the frame is not modded, then it should be allowed.

Doug

Following stricly the rules of the RRBBO this bike can be allowed.

After that if we refer to original rat rod or to the general spirit of the forum, the contest should considered only classic bikes (at least classic frames).

The bike gallery shows generally classic bikes project.

It seems to me that a rat rod is not a chopper, rat rod bikes, custom bikes, lowrider bikes and chopper bikes are different things even if we belong to the same family (we are cousin...).

Hot rodding is typically american as straight bar frame, cantilever frame, springer fork.

Mtb frames are internationals (and also ugly & terribly utilitarian).

Just try to find a cantilever frame in France, good luck.

1402886677_0ecab2cb7a.jpg

what is a rat rod.....

zaz said:
After that if we refer to original rat rod or to the general spirit of the forum, the contest should considered only classic bikes (at least classic frames).

The bike gallery shows generally classic bikes project.

It seems to me that a rat rod is not a chopper, rat rod bikes, custom bikes, lowrider bikes and chopper bikes are different things even if we belong to the same family (we are cousin...).

A true "rat rod" is a collection of low buck mismatched parts thrown together to make a working vehicle.

zaz said:
Hot rodding is typically american as straight bar frame, cantilever frame, springer fork.

But you can spend the mega bucks and buy bolt together parts off of the web and build the bike, so how would you call it a rat rod.

zaz said:
Mtb frames are internationals (and also ugly & terribly utilitarian).

Just try to find a cantilever frame in France, good luck.

I am trying to show that with some creativity you can change that :)

It seems that his entry fits the spirit of the rat rod (a collection of low buck mismatched parts thrown together to make a working vehicle) if not the traditional aesthetic that we have come to expect. In that case I wish him the best of luck and can't wait to see how this turns out.

Re: what is a rat rod.....

RecumbentCountry said:
A true "rat rod" is a collection of low buck mismatched parts thrown together to make a working vehicle.

I agree with you but the basis was a prewar car (it's extrem for bicycles...) , a recent mtb frame is not a cheap part.

RecumbentCountry said:
But you can spend the mega bucks and buy bolt together parts off of the web and build the bike, so how would you call it a rat rod.

Sure, but for the RRBBO 1, every actors seemed to follow the rules.

RecumbentCountry said:
I am trying to show that with some creativity you can change that :)

I know you can, there are examples everyday on http://www.chopperbicycle.net/forums

A modern mtb super techno frame and a modern chopper fork are not corresponding to my vision of a rat rod. I don't talk about buck but about design.

What is the definition of a rat rod???

Rat rod or not rat rod, that is the question?

godzuki.jpg

IMG_5263.jpg

IMG_5167.jpg

DSCN1898.jpg

tallmartinchop.jpg

DSC01806.jpg

544.jpg

punk12.jpg

Re: what is a rat rod.....

i think the same

Well, it looks like more people would like to see the bike in the build off than not. Honestly, I'd like to see what he comes up with myself.

I will say that I agree that some bike styles are not really what I consider to be Rat Rods or Hot Rods. This isn't a frankenbike forum, there is an element of classic 50s & 60s Hot Rod style that is supposed to be a part of all of this. That being said, I'm sure there are some creative folks out there who can somehow pull it all together using a frame style that most of us wouldn't necessarily consider to be a classic. Whether or not they are successful at it will be determined by the votes.

One thing to keep in mind here is that this is all for fun. Too many of us get all wound up over contests and competitions. I think the real point of this build off is for each participant to end up with a cool bike that they can enjoy and have fun building.

So due to the amount of votes in favor of this bike staying I'll make the final call and say it can stay.

thank you......

I will put the swing arm back in the original orientation for the seat mount.

That way I will honour the rules for not modifiing the frame, and I hope that everyone will like what I am trying to build.

Thanks
Doug Morency

Back