ShwiCoM Rat Junker Project In Process

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my mess as it stands today. It started with a yard sale Collegiate that had lived too long leaned against the side of a garage through several winters to be ride-able. These things are everywhere for nothing, so I figured why not hack it up and have some fun with it. I also found a pretty messed up rat trap front fork, so decided why not add that to the rat project, with a few tweaks, like grafting it onto the narrower Schwinn front fork.

side-no-motor.jpg

The first step was to chop the frame apart and add 10 degrees of rake to the front, then pull the seat tube back to parallel the head tube. The seat stays will soon be pushed forward to parallel the down tube. The aluminum tube shows where the seat stays will be extended forward to the down tube, in a squared off version of the old school layout usually done with radii. The seat will be cantilevered from the top tube. Handle bars are still in the thinking stage at this moment.

side-motor.jpg

This project will also get a motor. I hate these little Chinese oil burners, but they are fun to ride. Will have to see about making it look like it belongs here. Also will be fabricating a tank to fit into the scheme soon.

front-34.jpg

The rat trap and Schwinn fork grafting job in its current state. Still a few tweaks to go before its complete. While I did diddle with flipping the rockers over (forward), it wasn't right on the more modern 70's straight tube frame, so I went back to its conventional configuration and worked on getting the lines to tie into the rest of the bike. The additional 10 degrees of rake was predicated on returning some trail to the geometry once the rocker system was added to the bottom of the original fork.

front-fork.jpg

The upper structure will tie to the end of the spring pit to stabilize it and tie it to the neck. Machined the offset from the gooseneck for now. Will weld bars to it eventually. Going to make up some sculptural bit to hang on the front of the sprung fork bit.

The plan is to leave this bike unfinished and raw. I'll give the burned paint a bit of a rub to knock the loose stuff off, then shoot the whole thing in a clear coat, after doing a little patina work to make the various parts look like they belong together.

Have had fenders on and off the thing, as well as a chainguard... not sure any of that will make the final cut.

More to come as it progresses.

And we have handlebars with which to steer. In keeping with the theme of using the bikes original distressed finish parts, I cut and stretched the neck, then hacked the handlebars together, rust and all.

Neck-side.jpg

The neck is parallel to the top tube while the stretch brings the bars in line with the suspension bits below.
Front-neck.jpg

While I like large radii swoopy bars, they don't fit this bike at all, so I stayed with the angle bent original, at least the center bit of it.
neck-back.jpg

The angles and positioning seem about right. I'll tweak the bend angles later if they seem wrong. The length will be also trimmed as the final assembly is done with the grips and throttle/clutch control. Seeing that big nut cracking bolt head sticking out of the neck reminds me of a couple bad days as a kid, where that hex head made quite an impression on soft bits... This bike will have no front brake, so doing stoppies isn't on the agenda.

First outing beyond the shop. Most main work done. Cardboard shows location and approximate scale of fuel tank to be made from sheet metal. Radius bottom and front, flat top and back. Took a quick coaster ride... the increased rake creates a bit of a front end flop, so am going to add a steering damper to make it feel less wiggly. After the tank I'll get back to finishing and dressing each weld and get the motor mounts made up, find a place to hide the ignition, get the brakes on, etc...

first-light-1.jpg

light-of-day2.jpg

Am also getting the vibe that there needs to be a rack on the back with a similar feel to it as the front fork structure, perhaps with a spring clamp. The rear seems to be missing something. Fenders are out for me now after seeing things so far.

That thing is sweet, has a certain steam punk flare about it, if that bad boy was all satin black with white tires it would look like some kind of future racer from back in the twenties, nice.

Back