Slow build = Slow rider DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After stumbling onto this site last month I was infected with the need to build a bike. Or at least re-invent one.

And what better candidate than my wife's old cruiser!
IMG_020111.jpg

The history of the bike, for us, is short. We bought it at a garage sale two summers ago for $16. It was rattle can black, but had been red in a former life. The tires needed air and a new set of grips as well. The black just wasn't doing ot for my wife, so I tore the bike down (somewhat), and she went to town with some primer, purple and to top it off, some glitter over coat. The nickname of "sassy princess" was supplied by those kits of rhinestone stickers, "bling" that she found at the dollar store, prepackaged saying Sassy Princess. She rode it and loved it for a summer, we took it to the Oregon coast, replaced a couple parts and nick nacks..... and then I bought her a nice big cruiser last Christmas. So the "Sassy" sat hanging from the garage ceiling, waiting for some inspiration or a third rider in need of bike....

I have always been a fan of the rat rod type of hot rods. But not being much of a knuckle dragging monkey wrenching kinda guy, regular old, plain jane, vanilla cars have filled the garage...

So that brings us to today. Or, rather, yesterday, since I once again tore into the Sassy Princess.
IMG_0204.jpg

The stem is stripped and I am still working on getting it off fully. I am hoping to re- cut the threads and be able to utilize it. Everything else came apart easily enough, once the shackles of (at least) three coats of paint were removed.

Original red color:
IMG_0203.jpg

And the working idea:
ratrodidea.jpg

The loose plan is to strip it down, hack off the upper girls bar and reweld it onto a more "manly" position. I may or may not add the second piece of swoopy flair... Then it'll be painted flat black or flat primer brown. The rims will be red. Not sure about the seat yet, but I am thinking a little bit of layback on the seat post'll do the bike some good.... just a good, solid basic rat rod type of scheme...

I don't think I'll use fenders.... what do you think?

I really like Cman's build with the ammo boxes for storage, and I may just rip his idea off and use it for my own purposes:
Bike.jpg

And that, for now, is it. Parts are soaking in degreaser and some in paint stripper.... and the fork'll be off today....

More build updates as they happen, but like the title says, a slow build...

Thanks for tuning in!

Mike, out

Re: Slow build = Slow rider

Got some work done this weekend.

Began by sanding the frame a bit to see how many layers of paint.... looks like a jawbreaker..... which might be a good name for the bike...? But I think I am going to call it "sucker punch" for reasons that will become evident later as the build progresses....
IMG_0203-1.jpg

Hows this for "ratty"?
IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

Red rims, not done yet, but they are red.
IMG_0219.jpg

Parts. They all look good. Bearing all look good, cleaned them, got to grease them up and the bike will be smooth... I hope
IMG_0204-1.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

Before on the wheels, gotta remember how to lace them up correctly:
IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

And one of the one-off custom bits and pieces I am going to add on:
Here?
IMG_0217.jpg

Or here?
IMG_0216.jpg

Next up is chopping the girl bar and re welding it up high, stripping the rest of the frame, prime, paint.... and roll.

Mike

The bottle opener is going elsewhere on the bike.... I have something else for the headbadge, but that would be the #1 choice if I didn't.....

Didja know that at the New Belgum Brewery in Ft. Collins they give a really cool cruiser-klunker bike as a one year anniversary gift? And it has a bottle opener..... sweet!

Anyway, life has been busy with two jobs and a pregnant wife, so I haven't got as much done as I thought I would by now, but the frame is stripped, cut and waiting to be re-gender welded.

And I laced my first wheel set! I think they came out pretty darn good. As you can tell, I left the spokes "natural" which is kind of a dingy chrome-ish thing. They were rough and I knocked off the roughness with some steel wool. Combined with the newly painted rims and hubs, I think I am liking it so far....

IMG_0017-4.jpg

IMG_0019-3.jpg

IMG_0018-2.jpg

There is NO way I could have relaced these without the help of this forum and the "how to" section. I don't think I would have even attempted it, but here I am, ready for the next set and a little more confident that I can do it, so thanks!

Now, if I can just remember how that rear coaster brake hub went together!

Mike

looking good (great) so far. there are threads on coaster hub rebuilds on this forum too.

I love the bottle opener idea, that is so cool. There's this website called firebikes.com who sells something like that you can connect to the bike but its a little pricey.

Well, after the birth of a son and a transition back into student status, it is time to dig back into this project! Today I did the initial mock up.

IMG_0147.jpg

I think it is going to turn out great. I plan on cutting the upper stays and lowering it just a bit now that I have seen it semi together.

I am still figuring out how I am going to attatch the brass knuckles up front. Any ideas?

Obviously still not painted the frame yet, but it'll be flat black of course.

Found a lay back seat post as well..... a bit of chopped off handle bar from a fixie project works great.

IMG_0148.jpg

You might be careful There are a bunch of federal and State laws (silly huh?) that prohibit several things. Switch blade knives,Brass knuckles,straight razors and the like. It might never come up UNLESS you run into the right ,5 years or less on,policeman deciding he wants to jack you up over you clearly prohibited weapon. I would make sure they were non removable. I had a friend that wanted a bannonet on the sissy bar of his Harley. Even though we welded it on he got hasseled alot . :wink:

It'll be pretty much non removable. And it is a belt buckle-paper weight (I have the receipt to prove it). Shouldn't be a problem unless I go to the wrong side of the railroad tracks and get into a rumble...

Anyone have any thoughts on covering the seat in a red bandanna material instead of boring old black pleather?

Red bandana, brass knuckles, wrong side of tracks......Be careful ya ain't toten somebody's "colors".......I'd go with a grey bandana, just to be on the safe side.

Besides a little wheel truing the sucker punch bike project is DONE!

I ended up lowering it via the quick cantilever lowering process (learned from the how to forum here, thanks!)
Bolted the brass knuckles on the front.
Had the frame welded up.
I used the crank and sprocket from an old "ten speed", it was black and had a good slow riding gearing.
I used a bit of the ten speed handlebars to create a "pull back" type seat post.

Sorry for the lighting and the background. It is still a bit cool here to ride somewhere good and I am lazy....

Anyway....

Next to my wife's replacement cruiser so I could "steal" her purple garage sale bike (which is now the sucker punch!):
IMG_0301-1.jpg

The reason for the "sucker punch" name:
IMG_0302-1.jpg

Front on:
IMG_0305-1-1.jpg

Some more attitude:
IMG_0307.jpg

I also took the reflectors off the pedals and blasted them with a bit of red:
IMG_0306.jpg

More random shots:
IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0303-1.jpg

dude i totally love that bike!!! it gives me hope and ideas on what to do with one of my womens frames!!! sure do gotta nice ride there man!!!

Easy E

Back